Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Update to Provider Independent addressing format drafts

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 21:34:05 -0700

Keith--

>> if you're doing a massive relocation in physical space, the
renumbering
>> of your IP network doesn't seem like a huge additional burden.

Sometimes, and sometimes not. I have moved entire data rooms over the
weekend. It's a matter of logistics and bandwidth to cope with traffic
that has not moved yet or that has moved prior to the data room.

I have seen server farm moves over two weeks. It's most of the time
dirty, but you can indeed bridge a LAN over an OC-48 or bigger using
LANE.

In short, physical move is only money. If you're a telco or affiliated,
it's "monopoly" money. On the other hand, renumbering means headaches
and time and downtime, not to mention a few "permit ip any any" to
overcome poor planning.

IMHO, depending  whom you work for and which hat you wear, a physical
move can be a lot easier and a lot cheaper than a renumbering. In many
situations, it will create un unmanageable monster, other story.

Michel

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:34:47 -0700

I have to admit to considerable amusement to see people arguing that
renumbering in V6 is too painful.

Tony

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:33:52 +0200

Tony, for several years now we have talked about making renumbering
*significantly easier*, not making it fully automatic. 

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and nobody has tried
that yet on any significant scale.

  Brian

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:38:09 -0700

Sounds like we're not willing to eat what we cooked.

Tony

Brian E Carpenter writes:
 | Tony, for several years now we have talked about making renumbering
 | *significantly easier*, not making it fully automatic. 
 | 
 | But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and nobody has tried
 | that yet on any significant scale.
 | 
 |   Brian
 | 
 | Tony Li wrote:
 | > 
 | > I have to admit to considerable amusement to see people arguing that
 | > renumbering in V6 is too painful.
 | > 
 | > Tony