Subject: RE: (multi6) 53rd IETF Meeting

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:25:13 -0800

> Sean Doran wrote:
> How quickly can you complete the document?

Joe, how many minutes do you need?

> Remember: it is unpaid volunteer labour from writers that
> produces documents.  NO ONE in this working group is being
> paid to take "why are you so late with your deliverables?"
> catcalls.

Remember: it is unpaid volunteer labour from editors (me, in
this case) to produce the edits. It also is unpaid volunteer
labour from authors (a few people, including me) to produce
drafts. Before you try to sell me that one, why don't you
assess who here has produced work for this WG?

And, I am not whinning about the authors. I have been exchanging
emails with Joe Abley from time to time, and I do not feel that
the process is stuck on his side.

> Try to contain your impatience, unless you consider the
> document ready for WG last call and handover to the IESG.

The document was ready for last call in Salt Lake, as voted
by the floor. There has been numerous postings to the mailing
lists asking for last call. I have exchanged several emails off the
mailing list with people that agree with that.

Converning the agenda, I strongly suggest that you re-read the
CHARTER of the working group you chair.

The CHARTER contains items such as "Begin consideration of
approaches and proposals that could be pursued." and "Evaluate
approaches and select those to be worked on". The CHARTER lists
these items BEFORE submiting the requirements documents.

The fact that you are the chair does not give you the right to
read the CHARTER backwards to push your own agenda neither to 
prevent volunteers to make it happen.

Michel.

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:46:49 -0500

> Joe, how many minutes do you need?

If there is general agreement that the set of changes you have collated
is reasonable, I can make edits quite quickly.

The main reason I haven't done so already is that I haven't seen vocal
support for the changes in the mailing list. Note that this is quite
possibly because I have not been looking very hard; I have been busy
for some time now with work for my employer which has left very little
space in the standard 18-hour day for less directly revenue-generating
activities.

Perhaps the chairs could hazard an opinion as to whether the most
recent list of changes floated by Michel seems to reflect the wg's
opinion?

Like I said, doing the edits is quick and easy. It's having an opinion
on the proposed changes that I have been struggling to find time for.

Joe