Subject: RE: BALTS: Better At Least Than Singlehomed

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:01:32 -0800

> Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Since "the" solution seems more elusive than ever, maybe
> this is the time to get a "better than nothing" effort
> off the ground.

It certainly does not hurt talking about it. A bad
solution is better than no solution.

Michel.

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:36:30 -0500

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 04:53:01PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> As soon as the source host learns it can no longer send information to
> the destination host using regular means, it starts encapsulating the
> packets into IP packets. It then transmits these packets using a
> different source interface, gateway and/or destination address. The
> exact interface, gateway and destination address choices are
> determined by local configuration or heuristics.

Compare draft-moskowitz-hip-*

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:27:07 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Scott Brim wrote:

> > As soon as the source host learns it can no longer send information to the
> > destination host using regular means, it starts encapsulating the packets
> > into IP packets. It then transmits these packets using a different source
> > interface, gateway and/or destination address. The exact interface,
> > gateway and destination address choices are determined by local
> > configuration or heuristics.

> Compare draft-moskowitz-hip-*

Hm, this seems to be something quite different:

  "This memo describes the Host Identity Payload (HIP) described in the
   HIP architecture [HIPARCH] and the Host Layer Protocol (HLP) that
   uses it to establish a rapid authentication between two hosts and
   continuity between those hosts independent of the Networking Layer."

Iljitsch van Beijnum