Subject: RE: PI/metro/geo [Re: The state of IPv6 multihoming development]

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:11:05 -0800

Brian,

> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Noel has already answered, but I would like to add that we
> know the routing structure will be flat at some level.
> However, to get to the ten billion node Internet we need to
> plan for, we need aggregation of addresses much deeper in
> the topology than we have it today - let's think in terms
> of 10000 subnets represented by one route, for example.

What you describe above is almost exactly the GAPI draft used by MHAP.
The flat level involves 64k areas (an area is a /32), which of them
contains 64k sites.

The draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-py-multi6-gapi-00.txt
Does not have an allocation example, but we have one here:
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/geov6.txt
(there will be some cosmetic changes to make the addressing plan
compliant with the 25% clause in 5.2 in the draft, but good enough for a
first look).

Michel.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:33:22 +0100

> The flat level involves 64k areas (an area is a /32), which of them

An addressing scheme doesn't magically cause aggregation to occur,
but the scale is about right.

In answer to Iljitsch, 10 billion is the approximate world population
predicted for the year 2050. One node per human seems a modest target.

  Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment at the IBM Zurich Laboratory, Switzerland