Subject: Re: The term multihoming

From: Rick Summerhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:24:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Jim Fleming wrote:

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rick Summerhill" <[email-masked]>
> > we run a native v6 connection to a research backbone at this time and
> > want to connect to our commodity providers via v6 also.  If v6 is to
> > propagate, this issue must be dealt with.
> >
>
> Rather than describing a hierarchy of networks, you might want to consider
> the end-to-end Architecture of the Internet, and first start by describing how
> your nodes are numbered (addressed) in the 128-bit address field.
>
> Do you have the Persistent Part of the address in the Right 64 bits or the Left 64 bits ?

In the case of the extension office, with multiple /48's obtained from
above, the right 80 bits would remain the same.  If they had a /64, then
the right 64 bits would remain the same (by right here, I mean the host
portion of the address).

--Rick

--
Rick Summerhill                          Executive Director, GPN
5008 Canyon Road                         [email-masked]
Manhattan, KS 66503                      Cell: 785-341-7878
Voice: 785-587-4642                      Fax:  785-587-4642