Subject: [nemo] Info about JABBER and request for a "scribe"

From: "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:05:32 -0800

During this IETF, there is once again a Jabber text conferencing capability
which will be made available. This will allow the meeting scribe to record
the activities and questions at the meeting, so that (a) people who are not
present can know what's happening and possibly ask questions, and (b)
minutes can be transcribed from the text conferencing session.

Is there anyone on the list who has a Jabber client installed or has time to
do so before the meeting, and wants to take notes in the Jabber session?
Here is the information from Marshall Rose, for those who want to prepare to
do this, or anyone who wants to watch the session:

     Remote Access for the 56th IETF meeting in San Francisco:
                 Text Conferencing

At each IETF meeting, two of the working group meeting rooms are equipped
for video multicast and remote participation.  That is, for every IETF
meeting slot, two of the working groups can see and hear the
meeting. For the 55th IETF, in *addition* to the usual network A/V, text
conferencing will be provided for every working group that meets.

All of the conference rooms will be hosted on

    conference.ietf.jabber.com

and each is named using the official IETF abbreviation found in the
agenda (e.g., "apparea",  "dhc", "forces", and so on -- for all the
examples that follow, we'll use "foobar" as the abbreviation).

Each conference room also has a 'bot which records everything that gets
sent. So, the minute taker can review this information right after the
meeting.

1. Before the meeting:

1.1. If you want to participate
    
If you don't already have one, get yourself a Jabber client, here are some
suggestions:

    platform    suggestion
    --------    ----------
    win32       http://exodus.jabberstudio.org
    'nix        http://gabber.sf.net
    macos       http://jabberfox.sf.net

When you start the client for the first time, it will eventually ask if
you want to register on a public server. Go ahead and do
that. 
    
If you want to find out more, instead of choosing these defaults, here
are pointers to some additional information:
    
    list of clients:    http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.php
              howto:    http://www.jabber.org/user/userguide/
        server list:    http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php

To make sure everything is running ok, do a "Join Group Chat" with your
Jabber client:
    
    Group/Room: plenary
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

This conference room is up and running right now (although probably no
one will be in it when you connect).

2. At the meeting
[...]
Otherwise, the scribe should do a "Join Group Chat" with their Jabber
client, e.g.,

    Group/Room: nemo
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

2.2. What the Scribe does

The scribe types in a running commentary as to what's going on in the
room. For example, if a speaker makes a presentation, the scribe types
in the URL for the presentation (more on this in a bit).

Simlarly, during question time, a remote participant can type a question
into the room and the scribe can pass it on to the speaker.

2.3. What each Presenter does

Each presenter should put a copy of their presentation on a web server
somewhere, so remote participants can follow along.

2.4. Where to find the conference log
    
    http://www.jabber.com/chatbot/logs/conference.ietf.jabber.com/nemo/
    
NOTE: the logging facility will not be active until later this week...
    
                                  #######

Dean Willis says:

  But why struggle with Jabber when you can dance with something far more
  entertaining?

  Last meeting, several of the folks were successful at using SIP clients
  with Jiri Kuthan and iptel.orgs's Jabber/SIP gateway, which I think they
  will probably bring back for this meeting. Jiri's stuff is mostly
  available at www.iptel.org, so check it out . . .

Thanks
TJ