Subject: RE: [nemo] IPv4 traversal "draft-thubert-nemo-ipv4-traversal-00"

From: William D Ivancic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:02:34 -0500

I definitely have a need for  ipv4 transversal as well as NAT and PAT 
transversal.  I am currently working on deploying a ipv6 nemos over both 
ipv6 and ipv4 networks.  Today, ipv4 is much more prevalent than ipv6 and 
many wireless WAN providers such as satellite provides currently have not 
realized a business case to deploy ipv6.  I believe providing for easy 
transversal and interoperability of ipv4 and ipv6 will greatly aid in 
deployment and adoption of ipv6.

I am trying to work with the aeronautics community and hopefully 
Eurocontrol to demonstrate the usefulness of ipv6 nemos for there 
applications as well as use of multiple networks.  I have posted both the 
mobile and home network concept architecture at the following URL:
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~ivancic/nemo/

Note that to date, all the satellite providers and DSL providers I am aware 
of support ipv4 networks.  Many of the satellite systems also utilize 
NATs.  Thus, there is a need to transverse ipv4 networks in a automated 
fashion and to pass through both NATs and PATs.

There is a movement toward use of IPv6 for air traffic command.  This is 
happening in the European Aeronautical Telecommunication Network 
backbone.  The next obvious step it to use IPv6 on the air/ground 
link.   Eurocontrol is very interested in working with NASA to show mobile 
networking over IPv4 and IPv6.  NASA has been working with industry 
partners on IPv4 and most recently IPv6.   The refereced  two drawings 
showing a potential network layout to test these concepts.  Air traffic 
management is currently performed at VHF frequencies over a VHF Data Link 
(VDL) radio which has, at best, 8 kbps.  I want to show that one can use 
IPv4 and IPv6 networks to move between various networks and that one could 
perform Quality-of -Service on the mobile router.  I want to prove that we 
can pass air traffic management and other to an aircraft over both the VDL 
radios (and associated network) and other networks such as Globalstar, 
INMARSAT, Connexion by Boeing or some other mobile Ku-Band satellite 
system, 802.11 wireless networks and wired links.

Will

>draft-thubert-nemo-ipv4-traversal-00
>....draft USES MIPv6 to store the IPv4/UDP states. It all ends up in the
>binding cache, and nowhere else in the network (but the NAT itself). The
>PAT is maintained by MIP flows. The traversal only works for MIP MNs,
>not for any node like Teredo, and uses MIP to setup the tunnel, not TSP.
>.......
>Pascal
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Erik Nordmark [mailto:[email-masked]]
> > Sent: mardi 11 mars 2003 16:13
> > To: Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > Subject: Re: [nemo] IPv4 traversal
> >
> >
> > > I prepared a paper on Ipv4 traversal,
> > > draft-thubert-nemo-ipv4-traversal-00.txt, but it's too late
> > to submit
> > > (cut off till 3/17). I can send direct copies in the meantime.
> >
> > How does this relate to
> > draft-parent-blanchet-ngtrans-tsp-teredo-00.txt
> > and draft-ietf-mobileip-nat-traversal-07.txt?
> >
> >   Erik
> >
> >
> >