Subject: [nemo] Re: The NEMO/Seamoby terminology

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 02:04:59 +0900 (JST)

Hi Jukka, all,

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
> Hi Thierry,
> I had a talk with Kempf and he would like to get the Seamoby terminology
> document to Last Call as soon as possible. Thus, if you could tell me what
> NEMO terms would be needed in the Seamoby terminology, please, let me know
> as soon as possible. I'll add those and then submit a version for final
> call. If the current terms are sufficient, then we can make the last call
> immediately.

The seamoby terminology contains a section about mobile networks. We,
NEMO WG, should make sure those terms are consistent with ours. I was
particularly slow reacting to Seamoby request to merge some of our
terms, the opportunity window has reached end. So let's do it now to
make sure we are consistent.

The semoboby terminology already contains a number of terms which are
basically cut-and-paste from the NEMO terminology draft, i.e. the most
general ones, For consistency, those terms should be removed from the
NEMO terminology.  It also makes sense to move NEMO terms which have a
general scope to draft-seamoby, while keeping the more specifi ones in
NEMO.

Thus, for consistency and improvement, I think both drafts should be
updated the following way:

draft-seamoby-mmobility-terminology-02.txt
- add "fixed node" as opposed to "mobile node"
- update definition of mobile router (Seamoby def not the same as NEMO
  def)
- add network mobility, as opposed to "host mobility"
- add egress interface
- add ingress interface
- add home link prefix
- add foreign link prefix

draft-ernst-nemo-terminology-01.txt:
- update defintion of mobile network with text in NEMO terminology's
  introducion
- remove definition of AR
- remove or extend definition of mobile network, MR, MNN
- move words about "maintain sessions" from definition MN to
  definition of LFN, VMN, LMN
- remove egress interface
- remove ingress interface
- remove home subnet prefix
- remove foreign subnet prefix
- intra-domain mobility
- inter-domain mobility

Thierry

---

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:21:42 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

you proposal sounds good. Some questions/comments, though:

- The "fixed node" term does not mention IPv4-based nodes?
- The "network mobility" would fit into the section discussing personal 
  and host mobility, I guess.
- All interface and prefix terms would go into the Mobile Network section 
  of the Seamoby draft, right? They are mainly (only?) used there?

Regards,
Jukka

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:07:20 +0900 (JST)

Hi Jukka, all,

[NEMO folks involve in terminology, please review suggestions below]

> - The "fixed node" term does not mention IPv4-based nodes?

Right. We don't need such details, so, in the seamoby document, we can
make it simpler, as the definition for mobile nodes.

I don't know if the mention "continuous sessions" we have in
draft-nemo is relevant or not in draft-seamoby. To what extent a node
is fixed or mobile ? With respect to its address or only with respect
to its point of attachment ? Should the definition also cover MANET
nodes and thus be general enough ?

Tentatively, I propose the following text for draft-seamoby. Text
between brackets is optional and could be added/removed:

  o Fixed Node (FN)
      A node, either a host or a router, unable to change its point of
      attachment to the network and its IP address [without breaking
      open sessions]

  o Mobile Node (MN) 
      An IP node, either a host or a router, capable of changing its
      point of attachment to the network, moving from one link to
      another link [while maintaining continuous sessions]

  o Mobile Router (MR)
      A router capable of changing its point of attachment to the
      network, moving from one link to another link. The MR is capable
      of forwarding packets between two or more interfaces, and
      possibly running a dynamic routing protocol modifying the state
      by which to do packet forwarding.

      A MR acting as a gateway between an entire mobile network and
      the rest of the Internet has one or more egress interface(s) and
      one or more ingress interface(s). [Packets forwarded upstream to
      the rest of the Internet are transmitted through one of the MR's
      egress interface; packets forwarded downstream to the mobile
      network are transmitted through one of the MR's ingress
      interface.]

  o Mobile Network

      An entire network, moving as a unit, which dynamically changes
      its point of attachment to the Internet and thus its
      reachability in the topology. The mobile network is composed by
      one or more IP-subnets and is connected to the global Internet
      via one or more Mobile Routers (MR). The internal configuration
      of the mobile network is assumed to be relatively stable with
      respect to the MR.

  o Mobile Network Node (MNN)

      Any node (host or router) located within a mobile network,
      either permanently or temporarily. MNNs may either be mobile
      nodes (host or router) or fixed nodes.

  o Ingress interface
      The interface of a MR attached to a link inside the mobile
      network.

  o Egress interface
      The interface of a MR attached to the home link if the MR is at
      home, or attached to a foreign link if the MR is in a foreign
      network.

It would be useful to indicate ingress and egress intefaces on the
figure.

>   and host mobility, I guess.

Yes.

>   of the Seamoby draft, right? They are mainly (only?) used there?

I think "home subnet prefix" and "foreign subnet prefix" are general
to mobility, not only to network mobility. Moreover, those terms
appear in section 2 of draft-seamoby, thus they should be defined in
section 2.

Thierry

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:31:44 +0100

> [NEMO folks involve in terminology, please review suggestions 

Sorry for following up late on this, and posting on both lists is not
good from my part, sorry.

> o Mobile Node (MN) An IP node, either a host or a router, capable 
> of changing its point of attachment to the network, moving from one
>  link to another link [while maintaining continuous sessions]

Mobile IPv6 draft 21 has this:

    "mobile node

        A node that can change its point of attachment from one link to
        another, while still being reachable via its home address."

Which is basically the same thing said twice?

What would be helpful for me, at this moment, is a help to be able to
talk about MR contrasted to a MN that is not a router.

Normally, MN can be either a mobile host, or a mobile router, because
node is an entity that runs IP, and a host is a node that is not a router.

So, I would like to be able to say "contrary to a MN implementation,
an MR implementation will send RAs on the home link (if at home)".

And I can not say that, because a MN can be a MR as well as a mobile
host.  A better formulation would be:

"contrary to a MH implementation, an MR implementation will send RAs
on the home link (if at home)".

So I was trying to talk about MH to stand for mobile host only; (this
might conflict with Mobility Header abbreviating MH too).

Alex

-- 
Message Classification: GBU