Subject: [nemo] different with ad hoc network?

From: "Zhang Wenjie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:48:21 +0800

Can we say mobile network is a wireless routing application? 
    So it is a real application of ad hoc network?

    Thanks a lot! 				

　　　　　　　　Zhang Wenjie
　　　　　　　　[email-masked]
　　　　　　　　　　2003-03-03

---

From: Yu Wanrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:14:46 +0800 (HKT)

Hi,Zhang Wenjie

> Can we say mobile network is a wireless
routing application?

I don't think we can say NEMO is one kind of wireless
routing applicatin,of course ,it's depending on the
definition of wireless routing application :-)

Network mobility support (NEMO support) deals with
situations where an entire network changes its point of
attachment to the Internet and thus its reachability in
the topology.

Currently, drafts and discussion are focused on the
network layer of  network protocol stack(IP layer of 
TCP/IP).Those submitted solutions all suggest one way 
to provide continuous and security Internetsessions to 
all nodes behinds the MR. All these is done at IP 
layer as an new extension of standard IPv6 (IPv4), 
thus the upper layer fell nothing but some loss of 
performance when the MR change its attach point to the 
Internet.

>So it is a real application of ad hoc network?

Also, I don't think NEMO is an application of ad hoc 
network,I think there are some difference between them 
and list parts of them below:

1.NEMO support both mobile and non mobile nodes

2.the internal structure of the mobile network is 
relatively stable (no dynamicchange of the topology), 
though this is not a general assumption .

3.in the mobile network, only MR and AR can perform 
routing

4.mobile network changes its point of attachment as an 
unit, so the nodes outside of the mobile can only see 
the mobility of whole mobile network, while not of 
single node

......

Does it answer the question?  

Yu Wanrong

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:41:44 +0900 (JST)

From: Yu Wanrong <[email-masked]>
> 3.in the mobile network, only MR and AR can perform 

3. is not true, it depends on the configuration of the mobile
   network. In the simple case, where the mobile network is a subnet,
   only the MR performs routing. But if the mobile network is bigger
   and contains several subnets, a RIP or OSPF or some other
   routing protocol is running inside the mobile network. This "some
   other" may possibly be an ad-hoc routing protocol.

   So, the mobile network, in some very specific cases, may be an
   ad-hoc network. But this is not a general assumption.
 
> the mobility of whole mobile network, while not of 

Thierry