Subject: [nemo] [nemo-base-dt] slight difference in understanding

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 13:57:40 +0100

Hi Thierry:

We seem to have a slight difference in point of view. I understand that
for you, multiple egresses mean multiple physical egress links. For me,
it's multiple MNet-Home tunnels, active in parallel. 

-> So multiple CareOfs is a multihoming case.

-> Also, having multiple physical egress is not multihoming if you
register a single CareOf at any given point of time (I agree with
William). The number of egress physical interfaces seems to be a natural
thing for a router, but should be inconsequential to the protocol.

I believe that with Julien and Chan Wah, we came up with something that
you could retrofit in your requirements. In all cases, multihoming means
that the MNet is registered several times. In other words, there are
several active tunnels between home and the MNet. 

This may happen if a MR performs several registrations for a mobile
network, or if there are several active MRs registering the MNet in
parallel. 

-> The first sub-case appears if you have several CareOfs including-OR
several HAs, which cases you listed; but in that sub-case, having
multiple prefixes seem inconsequential since it's just repeating the
single prefix several times. 

-> The second sub-case appears if you have several MRs (...) but has
necessarily different CareOfs since there are different routers. But
having different prefixes advertised to the MNet introduces a new set of
problems.

The approaches to the way this list should be presented may have
differed a bit, but I hope this summary represents the state the part of
our discussion in the ML that we agreed upon(the rest being petty
details to be honest). Chan Wah, Julien is that OK?

Pascal