Subject: [nemo] 802.11 Mobility Framework Supporting GPRS Handover

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:34:19 +0900

Dear all

Above subject is being discussed at IPv6 forum by WiFi team.
For this mechanism, I submitted a draft, and I would like to listen
some comment and feedback from nemo WG.

Abstract :
In this draft, we describe a new mobility framework to extend 802.11 
[WLAN] to seamlessly manage roaming into GPRS access network, 
whenever the mobile node is out of range from any 802.11 domain.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-park-mobileip-wifi-handover-00
.txt

Please let me know your view on this with feedback and comment...

Regards

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Platform Lab,SAMSUNG Electronics

---

From: William D Ivancic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:56:10 -0400

>Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)

Daniel,

I read the draft rather quickly, but have two comments that should  be 
considered.

1)  The draft appears to assume that the 802.11 network will be a home 
domain.  I believe this is not general enough.  There are many 802.11 
system appearing throughout the  world that will be outside the mobile's 
home domain.

2)  My limited experience with GPRS in the US is with IPv4 and 
T-Mobile.  We are currently trying to work with T-Mobile to figure out how 
their NATing scheme  is effecting mobile router operation.  In theory, in 
IPv6, NATs will no longer be a problem, but don't count on it.  I think we 
ALL need to work with service providers to educate them on the nastiness of 
NATing in that some of the problems NATing solves can be done using other 
mechanisms.  Anyway, I suggest working with some GPRS service providers 
regarding use of GPRS in mobile networks.  I believe both parties will 
learn from such a relationship.

Will

---

From: William D Ivancic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:56:10 -0400

Daniel,

Will