Subject: [nemo] supported multihoming scenarios

From: Chan-Wah Ng <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Jul 2003 15:10:18 +0800

Hello, all,

Base on discussion from IETF-57, there is an issue of which multihoming
scenarios should be supported by Basic Solution.  I hereby list them
all, and give a brief description of the issues.  Like to seek working
group consensus on which multihoming scenarios the NMEO basic solution
should be supported.  For detailed analysis of each scenario, please
refer to draft-ng-nemo-multihoming-issues-01.txt and
drfat-charbon-nemo-multihoming-evaluation-00.txt (should be available in
IETF repository soon, otherwise you can always retrieve it from
[http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/~julien/papers/draft-charbon-nemo-multihoming-evaluation-00.txt]).

* (0,0,0): Single MR, Single HA, Single Prefix

- No major issue

* (0,0,1): Single MR, Single HA, Multiple Prefixes

- No Major issues

* (0,1,0): Single MR, Multiple HAs, Single Prefix

- Do we support only the case where every HA belongs to the same
administrative domain?
- If HAs belong to different domains, it may interfere with global
routing since different domains now advertise routes to the same
prefix..

* (0,1,1): Single MR, Multiple HAs, Multiple Prefixes

- Do we restrict ourselves to only the case where each prefix is only
registered to HA within the same domain?
- If the same prefix is registered to HAs from different domains, it may
interfere with global routing since different domains now advertise
routes to the same prefix..

* (1,0,0): Multiple MRs, Single HA, Single Prefix

- No major issues

* (1,0,1): Multiple MRs, Single HA, Multiple Prefixes

- No major issues

* (1,1,0): Multiple MRs, Multiple HAs, Single Prefix

- Do we support only the case where every HA belongs to the same
administrative domain?
- If HAs belong to different domains, it may interfere with global
routing since different domains now advertise routes to the same
prefix..

* (1,1,1): Multiple MRs, Multiple HAs, Multiple Prefixes

- Do we restrict ourselves to only the case where each prefix is only
registered to HA within the same domain?
- If the same prefix is registered to HAs from different domains, it may
interfere with global routing since different domains now advertise
routes to the same prefix..

/rgds
/cwng