Subject: [nemo] About BA status 141

From: Noriaki Takamiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:58:54 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

  I'm sorry, but I have a simple question.

  In draft-ietf-nemo-basic-support-01.txt, BA status code 141 is defined.

  I wonder how HA decides to send BA with status 141.

  For example, when MR sends BU with explicit or Explicit Prefix
  Length mode, HA process this BU as following(section 6.2):

  1)check H bit in BU
  2)check the contents of BU
  3)verify the mobile network prefixes using Prefix Table
    ->If failed, HA returns BA with status 142.
  4)try to setup forwarding to all prefixes listed in BU.
    ->If failed, HA returns BA with status 141.

  In 4), what does HA verify?

  Does 'fail' mean that HA couldn't just configure the
  forwarding(e.g. reverse tunneling or setup routing table)?

  IMO, almost misconfigured prefix in BU will result in status 142.

  What is the situation that HA could return 141?

  If I misunderstand, correct me.

  regards,

--
Noriaki Takamiya

---

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:12:13 -0400

> I guess so. For example if a similar entry already exists in 
 > the table,
 > or if the prefix is larger than 128.  No?

=> But that sounds more like a message format error
which should be generic for any incorrect field in the 
BU. I thought this was already covered in the base MIPv6
spec. 

Hesham

---

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:08:43 -0400

> prefix information is not sent in the BU in MIPv6. in Nemo
 > we are trying to deal with the Mobile Router including
 > some invalid prefix in the Binding Update. the prefix could
 > be invalid due to many reasons (invalid prefix length,
 > site-local Mobile Network Prefix, reserved IPv6 prefix as
 > Mobile Network Prefix, prefix that cannot be aggregated at
 > the Home Network, etc.....).

=> I understand. If that's what it's used for 
then perhaps the error code should reflect that, 
i.e. 'invalid prefix' or something like that. 
Of course you can still reuse the 'format error'
anyway for a new field, but if you want to be specific
you can create a new error code (e.g. 141) and give it
a specific meaning. 

Hesham

 > Vijay