Subject: [nemo] NEMO or MANET?

From: Wanrong Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:25:06 +0800 (HKT)

Hi,all
  I have read some drafts of NEMO and MANET, but I 
have some doubts. If there are several mobile networks,
each has one or more MRs(we can imagine several cars), 
these cars meet and want to communication with each 
other, if the fixed infrastructure is unsable for some 
reasons, does the communication possible? and how?
  From the aspect of NEMO, we can loose the restrict 
of the existence of fixed infrastructure, from the 
aspect of MANET, we can extend the single node in the 
ad hoc to a subnet, both will point to the scenario 
above. I think this maybe a new scenario neithor NEMO 
or MANET has covered, and there are new issues arise 
such as routing and security.
   Does there any researchs on this scenario, or some 
current technology have solve the problem perfectly?
   Any comments or advices are welcomed, thanks a lot!

 Wanrong Yu

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:44:13 +0200

Wanrong Yu wrote:
> Hi,all I have read some drafts of NEMO and MANET, but I have some 
> doubts. If there are several mobile networks, each has one or more 
> MRs(we can imagine several cars), these cars meet and want to 
> communication with each other, if the fixed infrastructure is unsable
>  for some reasons, does the communication possible? and how?

I assume from your description that there is one moving network per
vehicle, the vehicles are close by and are stationary, and that there is
no fixed infrastructure to which the vehicles' MRs would connect.

In this case, one MR of one vehicle could attach to the moving network
of the other vehicle, such as to form a sort of "nested moving network".
  Assume that the receving moving network (or the top-level moving
network, or the parent network) has a set of IPv6 addresses that it
could delegate (by DHCP prefix delegation mechanisms) to the moving
network that visits it.  Communication is thus possible between all
entities of the nested aggregation (all devices in both vehicles
communicate to each other).  The top-level moving network becomes the
home of the network that is attached under it.

This might work ok, because there is no infrastructure available.  Once
the infrastructure becomes available, both moving networks should try to
contact their respective home links, and the inter-vehicle comm scenario
would be different (no DHCP prefix delegation, but use RO).

> From the aspect of NEMO, we can loose the restrict of the existence 
> of fixed infrastructure,

Ok, for the purpose of obtaining what?

> from the aspect of MANET, we can extend the single node in the ad hoc
>  to a subnet, both will point to the scenario above. I think this 
> maybe a new scenario neithor NEMO or MANET has covered, and there are
>  new issues arise such as routing and security. Does there any 
> researchs on this scenario, or some current technology have solve the
>  problem perfectly? Any comments or advices are welcomed, thanks a 
> lot!

You sure are aware of the MANET WG and ANS RG.  The MANET Gateways.

I've heard of a Deutsche (German) project looking at using manet
networks for inter-vehicle communication, I think it's named FleetNet.
There is also InternetCAR in Japan and others.

Alex
GBU

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:44:13 +0200

Alex
GBU

---

From: Lawrence MacIntyre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 08:11:06 -0400

For MANET, this is no problem at all.  The Mobile Routers (cars) will
discover each other and communicate directly.  There is no need for any
fixed infrastructure.

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 05:25, Wanrong Yu wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
-- 
    Lawrence MacIntyre     865.574.8696     [email-masked]
               Oak Ridge National Laboratory
High Performance Information Infrastructure Technology Group

---

From: Lawrence MacIntyre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 08:11:06 -0400