Subject: [nemo] SPD entries for routing protocol messages

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:34:05 -0800

hi Jari,

check out draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-auth-04.txt.

it is a WG document in the OSPF WG. it describes SPD entries
needed to protect OSPF messages. however the draft says
transport mode MUST be used because it assumes OSPF messages
are exchanged only between routers acting as hosts.

>    OSPFv3 packets are exchanged between the routers
>    but as the packets are destined to the routers, the routers act like
>    hosts in this case.  So transport mode SA MUST be used in order to
>    provide required security to OSPFv3.

in NEMO, the routing protocol messages are not forwarded. the
destination address on the routing protocol messages is either
the mobile router's address or the Home Agent's address inside
the tunnel interface between the Home Agent and Mobile Router.

if we assume the bi-directional tunnel to be a virtual link,
then RFC 2740 (OSPFv3) says

    On virtual links, global scope or site-local IP addresses must be
    used as the source for OSPF protocol packets.

so, an OSPFv3 packet from HA to MR could look like the following.

IPv6 hdr (src=HA, dst=MR_CoA)
IPv6 hdr (src=HA, dst=MR_HoA)
ESP hdr
OSPFv3 payload

maybe we have to just reference the above mentioned draft.

what do you think?

Vijay