Subject: RE: MR returning home (was Re: [nemo] review of the nemo basic sp ec)

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:34:29 -0500

> T.J. Kniveton wrote:
 > > OK.. can you give me an example of when any MR, ever, 
 > would get any 
 > > benefit by sending RAs on its egress interface? If not, 
 > the text there 
 > > should probably point out this fact, or just say..don't send them.
 > 
 > not for us to prohibit this, TJ. neighbor discovery specs dont
 > prohibit it. Jim and I had a discussion on this. the discussion
 > is at http://people.nokia.net/vijayd/nemo/issue21.txt.
 > 
 > maybe you should pose this question on the IPv6 mailing list.
 > Jim has sent a mail to Hesham to clarify this when RFC 2461
 > is being revised. it hasnt been discussed on the IPv6 mailing
 > list, though.

=> I just realised that I haven't replied to this email, Sorry, 
I'm on holidays for a while. 

I think what Vijay is saying makes sense to me. Routers send
RAs on _advertising_ interfaces (see 2461 for the use of 
that term). If the MR's router is configured as an advertising
interface in it's home network then it could send an RA. 
Why it needs to send an RA on its egress interface is a different
question and depends on the particular use case. Therefore, 
prohibiting this effectively makes us define a new type of 
"router" as far as ND is concerned. The fact that the router
is mobile does not mean that it cannot advertise on its egress
interface. 

Perhaps ND needs to add another parameter to the advertising
interface to allow the MR to advertise only at home (e.g.
Advertising_i/f_at_home_only  for MRs Vs advertising_i/f
for fixed routers). 

But I sure wouldn't like us to disable a router from advertising
on an ingress interface while at home. It might simply act as 
a normal router at home, why not? 

Hesham

 > Vijay

---

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:45:55 -0500

Typo

 > on an ingress interface while at home. It might simply act as 
         ^^^^^^^^
=> Should be "egress".

Hesham

---

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:45:55 -0500

Typo

         ^^^^^^^^
=> Should be "egress".

Hesham