Subject: [nemo] autoconfiguration with DHCPv6

From: Laurent Toutain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:09:38 +0100

I'm not familiar with the network mobility vocabulary, I'm little 
confused but all NEMO acronyms (but I will learn
them I promise), but I was very interested by the 
draft-droms-nemo-dhcpv6-pd-01.txt since it covers some
concerns we got in the late ZEROUTER BOF.It could be important to have 
solution that works either when
the MN is in its home network and away and with any kind of 
architecture, not only a single homed network.

I will compare this draft to the proposal we published sevral month away 
and that can be found at
http://internet.motlabs.com/zerouter/drafts/draft-chelius-router-autoconf-00.txt

If I understand the draft is for asking the HA to assign a prefix to the 
Mobile Network either when the MR is
at home or in a visiting network. I think this solution works well for a 
Mobile Network with only one MR, but it
will be very difficult to generalize it to Home Networking 
autoconfiguration (like DSLAC) for several reasons :

- in a home network, you may have several routers on a same link. In 
that case, all the routers will asks for a
prefix using DHCPv6 and you may have several prefixes for each link.

- in a home network, at least during the boot phase, it is not 
guaranteed that you have access to a DHCPv6
server since prefixes allocation and routing are not establish (it is 
not the case in NEMO, you assume a certain
stability in visited networks).

Laurent