Subject: [nemo] RE: splitting moving networks (was: DND test)

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:21:25 -0000

> 
>  > I think that, first, moving networks in the NEMO sense have a rigid
>  > structure, they just don't separate components from one
>  > another, a basic
>  > definition.
> 
> => Disagree. Where is this definition made? It would be
> a big mistake to make this assumption IMHO. How can
> you say that a moving network will never be divided?
> If I have a PAN with 4 devices and one day I left
> 2 at home and took 2 with me to work, you're saying
> that this is not _meant_ to work?
> 
Yes, Hesham, exactly. It's a configuration error. It should be 2
networks. But then, they should not share an ingress link, ever. It's
either load balancing in an atomic (rigid) configuration or a totally
separated configuration. What you're asking for is just too difficult
with the current technology, and it's not just Nemo. 

Actually, we are very careful not to expose LFNs to other mobile
networks when we do our tests, because that breaks everything. And this
has to do with the way the LFNs we are using handle address
autoconfiguration and SAS. I agree we should doc the results of this.
Our (Nemo) policy is to write an informative usage draft that gives the
status of the cans and can'ts, and that status may evolve with the
overall technology...

You kinda convinced me that we should start the multihoming usage draft
ASAP :)

Pascal

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:44:10 +0100

> with the current technology, and it's not just Nemo.

Pascal, I did not see any specific requirement from Hesham about how the 
moving network actually splits; it's just "I leave two devices at home 
and take two with me".  That is not enough.  If one really wants to see 
how NEMO would work in this too-high-level scenario, and depict the 
BU/BAck message exchanges and the tunnels, then one should be a little 
bit more detailed on how the network actually splits.

I've tried to interpret more on what Hesham meant, drawed some diagrams 
  here that respect the split net Hesham's scenario and I think NEMO 
Base Protocol works.  But I'm not sure exactly what Hesham meant exactly.

So, Hesham, could you please be more explicit on exactly you see that 
split  moving network scenario?  Where are the home agents?  Does your 
house host a home link?  Are all devices LFN's or can they be MH's? 
What moves and in what order.

Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:44:10 +0100

Alex