Subject: Re: [nemo] a special discussion session for threat analysis and security requirements

From: "S. Felix Wu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:15:47 -0800

I forgot to mention in my earlier message -- if you can not attend
the meeting or the discussion meeting, you are very welcome to
submit your opinions and comments regarding the security issue in
NEMO.

-Felix

S. Felix Wu wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> It seems to me that we have many folks are interested in working on
> security/threat related issues under NEMO, while, as TJ concluded
> today, we still need a good external review for security issues.
> 
> In order for us to work together more effectively as a team and
> to consolidate different efforts, I proposed to TJ that maybe we
> should have a special meeting this week in Seoul to discuss about
> security issue. This special discussion will be open to any one
> who is interested in the security issue under NEMO.
> 
> I propose two options for the meeting time:
> (1). 11-12 on Wed morning
> (2). 11-12 on Thu morning
> 
> For those of you who are indeed interested in joining us, please
> let me know in emails whether any one of the propsed time is good
> for you. And, then, after I collect all the inputs, I will announce
> tomorrow around 4:00 p.m. to the NEMO mailing list.
> 
> Draft Agenda:
> (1). Introduce ourselves
> (2). status of all current drafts
> (3). what should we really achieve regarding the security issue
>      in NEMO?
> (4). "how to achieve that goal" and hopefully some action items
>      before the next IETF.
> 
> Thanks. Any comments will be welcome.
> -Felix

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. S. (Shyhtsun) Felix Wu                           [email-masked]
Associate Professor                      http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~wu
Computer Science Department                     office: 1-530-754-7070
University of California at Davis               fax:    1-530-752-4767
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "S. Felix Wu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:15:47 -0800

-Felix

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:51:42 +0100

S. Felix Wu wrote:
> the meeting or the discussion meeting, you are very welcome to submit
>  your opinions and comments regarding the security issue in NEMO.
> 
>> In order for us to work together more effectively as a team and to 
>> consolidate different efforts, I proposed to TJ that maybe we 
>> security issue. This special discussion will be open to any one who
>>  is interested in the security issue under NEMO.

Hello Felix,

I'm interested in the security discussion of the NEMO base protocol
now, and maybe later in other security aspects related to NEMO.

I've tried to summarize most important aspects of the security threats
for NEMO base protocol, as we understand them, in
draft-petrescu-nemo-threats-01.txt.  The document benefitted from one
NEMO WG member review.

While we're not sure at this time whether we can attend the meeting
you're proposing (I personally can not) I'm interested in participating
in the eventual online discussion.  If the meeting produces some
informal minutes, I'm interested to see them, thank you.

> you are very welcome to submit your opinions and comments regarding 
> the security issue in NEMO.

Where would one start?  I think the only two issues are: (1) location
privacy and (2) threats induced by the insecure NEMO dynamic HA discovery.

Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:51:42 +0100

Hello Felix,

Alex

---

From: Seongho Cho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:50:47 +0900

Hi Alex, 

 Also, there are some NEMO Basic support threat issues in new draft,
 draft-jung-nemo-threat-analysis-02.txt.

 1) Threats to the MRHA tunnel 
 2) BU spoofing
 3) DoS for BU processing 
 4) multihoming threats in case of MR failure (also, in my draft)

 IMO, 1) and 2) are not possible if the SA is checked by the HA when it 
 receives BU requests. (especially, with IPSec AH)

 We can discuss on these topics including location privacy (NEMO or MIP 
 specific?) and R bits spoofing of HA discovery messages, which are 
 considered in Alex's draft. 

 So, 6 or more issues can be treated in this off-line meeting. 

 Bests, 
 Seongho

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Cho, Seongho (Ph.D. candidate)

 Information Networking & Computing Laboratory,
 School of Computer Science and Engineering, Seoul National University
 San 56-1, Shillim dong, Gwanak gu, Seoul, Korea, 151-744.

 TEL: +82-2-884-3936 
 FAX: +82-2-871-4912 
 http://popeye.snu.ac.kr/~shcho ; mailto:[email-masked] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Seongho Cho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:50:47 +0900

Hi Alex, 

 Bests, 
 Seongho

 TEL: +82-2-884-3936 
 FAX: +82-2-871-4912

---

From: "S. Felix Wu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:41:39 -0800

Hi,

I have received a few responses for the special meeting.
It looks to me that more folks will be available on Thursday
(than Wednesday). (I am sorry for those who told me that
they prefer Wednesday.)

So, here it is:

	Special NEMO security/threat analysis meeting
	time: 11-12 on Thursday
	place: Let's meet outside of the Emerald room

BTW, I found one document related to threat analysis for multi-
homing:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohta-multi6-threats-00.txt

-Felix

---

From: "S. Felix Wu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:41:39 -0800

Hi,

So, here it is:

-Felix

---

From: "marcelo bagnulo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:53:30 +0900

Hi Felix,

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohta-multi6-threats-00.txt

I don't know how usefull you'll find this draft... it is mainly focused in
transport layer solutions (as its tittle states ;-) "Threats Relating to
Transport Layer Protocols Handling Multiple Addresses"

Probably, if you want to have a more broader view of multihoming threats, i
would recommend reading

Erik Nordmark, Tony Li, "Threats relating to IPv6 multihoming solutions"

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nordmark-multi6-threats-00.txt

Another important reading for this, IMHO, would be

P. Nikander et al., "Mobile IP version 6 Route Optimization Security Design
Background"

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nikander-mobileip-v6-ro-sec-02.txt

regards, marcelo

---

From: "marcelo bagnulo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:53:30 +0900

Hi Felix,

regards, marcelo

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:02:37 -0800 (PST)

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohta-multi6-threats-00.txt

There is also
draft-nordmark-multi6-threats-00.txt

  Erik

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:02:37 -0800 (PST)

There is also

  Erik

---

From: "S. Felix Wu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:59:49 -0800

Hi,

Draft Agenda:
(1). Introduce ourselves