Subject: [nemo] issue 35 on simplex and bidir tunnels

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:06:52 +0200

IESG Reviewer:
> In the second paragraph of 5.5 they talk about the single 
> bi-directional tunnel and two simplex tunnels.  They need to get 
> their terminology straight.

Ok, the 2nd par of section 5.5 is:
> The bi-directional tunnel between Mobile Router and Home Agent allows
>  packets to flow in both directions between these entities, while the
>  Mobile Router is connected to a Visited Link.  The bi-directional 
> tunnel involves two virtual links [3]:  one virtual link has the 
> address of the tunnel entry point as the Care-of Address of the 
> Mobile Router and the tunnel exit point as the address of the Home 
> Agent; the other virtual link has as tunnel entry point the Home 
> Agent address and as tunnel exit point the Care-of Address of the 
> Mobile Router.  Both addresses are unicast addresses.  All IPv6 
> traffic to and from the mobile network is sent through this 
> bi-directional tunnel.

I do not know whether "simplex tunnel" is defined anywhere, I was
looking for such a term. If it exists, it should be used. Maybe a
terminology issue here, Thierry?

Formulation could of course be improved and I suggest (I substituted
"as" with "equalling" and replaced ", while" with "whenever" on 2nd line):

> The bi-directional tunnel between Mobile Router and Home Agent allows
>  packets to flow in both directions between these entities whenever the 
> Mobile Router is connected to a Visited Link.  The bi-directional 
> tunnel involves two virtual links [3]: one virtual link has the 
> address of the tunnel entry point equalling the Care-of Address of 
> the Mobile Router and the address of the tunnel exit point equalling 
> the address of the Home Agent; the other virtual link has the address
>  of the tunnel entry point equalling the Home Agent address and the 
> address of the tunnel exit point equalling the Care-of Address of the
>  Mobile Router.  Both the Home Agent address and the Care-of Address 
> are unicast addresses.  All IPv6 traffic to and from the mobile 
> network is sent through this bi-directional tunnel.

Alex