Subject: [nemo] admin: discarding spam and filtering their address and banning their subscriptions

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 10:44:35 +0200

Hi,

When discarding unsolicited mails addressed to the nemo list (spam), I'm
going to use the new mailman features that not only discard the
offensive mail but also adds the from address to the "discards" filter
and that prevents that address from ever subscribing to the nemo list.

I'll have to take care to look closely at the address itself (because
sometimes spammers spoof someone's legitimate email address) but then
please count on me.

Thierry, TJ, you also manage the discarding procedure, what do you think.

Alex

---

From: "T.J.Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:08:36 -0700

Is it very common to have spammers subscribe to the list? It seems that 
if we can run spamassassin, we can avoid the hundreds of mails that get 
queued and we have to manually deny.

TJ

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:23:08 +0200

T.J.Kniveton wrote:
> Is it very common to have spammers subscribe to the list?

I guess not common, but I've seen at least one case (IIRC it was this
list here, but I won't swear).

> It seems that if we can run spamassassin, we can avoid the hundreds 
> of mails that get queued and we have to manually deny.

Yes, maybe.  If spamassasin must run on the same server as mailman then
I guess it is on the IETF.org jurisdiction.  Things I've heard is that
it may overload the respective machine.

Alex