Subject: RE: [nemo] Conflicting statements - RAs on e-gress interfaces

From: "Soliman Hesham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 03:25:40 -0400

I think 5.8 is actually a better choice. 
MUST should not be used lightly as it means
if you don't follow this recommendation something will 
break.

Nothing will break if a node uses the MR as a 
default router. Of course if the MR moves then
that node will discover that and switch routers.
This is not desired as it takes time, but nothing
breaks. In fact, in some cases it might be useful
to use the MR as a default router, e.g. if no other
routers exist. 

So I don't think we should use MUST here. SHOULD or 
even MAY are more appropriate IMO.

Hesham

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
O.L.N.Rao
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 3:10 AM
To: NEMO
Subject: [nemo] Conflicting statements - RAs on e-gress interfaces

Hello All,

    I am just cut-pasting the snips from the NEMO Basic Support Protocol
(Draft Version 3)
    which are conflicting.

    [SNIP 1]

    5.6. Neighbor Discovery for Mobile Router

    When the Mobile Router is at home, it MAY be configured to send
   Router Advertisements and reply to Router Solicitations on the
   interface attached to the home link.  The value of the Router
   *Lifetime field MUST be set to zero* to prevent other nodes from
   configuring the Mobile Router as the default router.

    [SNIP 2]

    5.8. Returning Home

    -  The Mobile Router MAY send router advertisements on its egress
       interfaces.  But the router *lifetime SHOULD be set to 0*, so that
       hosts on the home link do not pick the Mobile Router as the
       default router.

    I guess following the lines of 5.6 would be better choice.

    Let me know if i am missing any thing.

    Thank you,

Regards,
O.L.N. Rao

===========================================================
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.
===========================================================