Subject: [nemo] Announcing RRH version 5

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:41:02 +0100

Hi:

RRH has been around since the WG was formed. In fact, since it's an RO
feature, we had to hold it for some time in order to focus on the basic
support; on the bright side, this left RRH a fair chance to mature,
which it did. Overtime, a number of competing techniques have been
proposed, but RRH still stands as one good way of performing RO. 

In fact, now that Tree Discovery is available as a separate draft, the
needs and values of RRH are much clearer. Tree Discovery traces an
optimized spanning tree of MRs, rooted at the infrastructure; and on top
of route optimization and tunnel compression, RRH alleviates security
and privacy issues and allows forwarding by a MR that would not be bound
home, which in particular breaks a classical mobile Home deadlock in
basic NEMO.

I believe it's time to discuss whether tree discovery and RRH are part
of the things we want to work on as a WG. I'm not sure it all fits in
the current charter. Yet RRH has been very well received by those
exposed to it and provides a real value for Mobile Networks.

The new update of the RRH draft is now available at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thubert-nemo-reverse-routing-h
eader-05.txt

Changes from -04 to -05:

      Tree Information option: now a reference to a separate draft.

      Removed RRH heartbeat.

      Added a DHAAD section

      Clarified how RRH solves the mobile home deadlock.

      new section "Optimum number of slots in RRH" from ICMP section

Pascal

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:48:37 +0200

Hi Pascal,

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:
[about RRH...]
> In fact, since it's an RO feature, we had to hold it for some time in
> order to focus on the basic support; on the bright side, this left
> RRH a fair chance to mature, which it did. Overtime, a number of
> competing techniques have been proposed, but RRH still stands as one
> good way of performing RO.
> 
> In fact, now that Tree Discovery is available as a separate draft,
> the needs and values of RRH are much clearer. Tree Discovery traces
> an optimized spanning tree of MRs, rooted at the infrastructure; and
> on top of route optimization and tunnel compression, RRH alleviates
> security and privacy issues and allows forwarding by a MR that would
> not be bound home, which in particular breaks a classical mobile Home
> deadlock in basic NEMO.
> 
> I believe it's time to discuss whether tree discovery and RRH are
> part of the things we want to work on as a WG. I'm not sure it all
> fits in the current charter.

Informally speaking, there may be IPR on solutions for Route 
Optimization for Moving Networks.

Alex