Subject: [nemo] New draft submitted: draft-koh-dihap-00.txt

From: Benjamin Koh Tien-Ming <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:54:44 +0800

Hi!

A new draft was submitted and can be found at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-koh-dihap-00.txt

All feedback are welcome!

Abstract

    This draft describes a proposed Dynamic Inter Home Agent solution to
    provide redundancy and load balancing of Home Agents.  The proposed
    solution recommends additional communication between home agents that
    may be located far apart in terms of network topology but still
    belonging to or are trusted by the same administrative domains
    (service providers).  While the mobile node is roaming away from its
    home network, intervening home agents in the path of the
    bidirectional tunnel between the mobile node and its registered home
    agent may detect its presence.  The intervening home agents that are
    affiliated to the current home agent of the mobile node then proceed
    to update it of their availability to serve as home agent for the
    mobile node.

Regards,
Ben

---

From: Romain KUNTZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:41:53 +0900

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:54:44 +0800

> All feedback are welcome!

I have just a question about this draft:
- Once the MN changed its home agent, how does the packets from a CN are
routed to the new home agent ? I mean, unless the MN changes its home
address, the CN will go on sending packets to the former home network!
If the MN changes its home address, current transport sessions between
MN and CN are terminated... Maybe I missed something reading the draft?
- If Home Agents operates in solo mode, I guess each HA has to update
all others HA Home Interface List each time its own Home Interface List
change, otherwise HAs will not be synchronised. Isn't it a little bit
too expensive ?

Best regards,

-- 
Romain KUNTZ
[email-masked]

---

From: Benjamin Koh Tien-Ming <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:19:42 +0800

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback!

Replies inline.

Regards,
Ben

> MN and CN are terminated... Maybe I missed something reading the draft?
No, this is a problem. Currently I'm unsure as to how the internet 
routing fabric will turn out. Will the MN be allowed to maintain its 
home address in a geographical/hierarchical different location? I did 
not explicitly tackle this question as I'm still not sure to the answer. 
If all IPv6 prefixes are to be hierarchical then it is likely that the 
MN has to change its home address. However, if similar IPv6 prefixes are 
allowed to be scattered then it's possible for the new HA to also 
advertise for MN in its new vicinity.

> change, otherwise HAs will not be synchronised. Isn't it a little bit
The HA is only responsible for it's own Home Interface List (HIL). If it 
detects a nearby visiting MN (VMN), it informs the current HA of the VMN 
  periodically for as long as the VMN is still in the vicinity 
(detectable).  In solo operation, HAs do not need to update each others 
HIL unless it fulfils the above scenario (detects VMN).

Did I answer your question? If I understand it wrongly please correct 
me. Thanks!