Subject: Re: [nemo] comments on draft-ietf-nemo-terminology

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:58:06 +0900

Hi Pascal,

> We voiced things actually. I remember saying that some words have been
> around too long for dismissing them so easily. People use MNP and TLMR
> when they talk, regardless of the new official terminology. And this
> happens outside of the WG as well as inside. Many people now know about
> NEMO and it's hard to get them to say root-MR or Nemo-prefix. They had
> trouble enough to get used to the old words in the first place and this
> is confusing.

There are a few people that have voiced, other who are confused, some
who used MNP and the like because it's an habbit, and those who use the
new terminology.

But, new terms where presented at the IETF meeting, and if some people
were not there, they could have watched the minutes and the slides.

In any case, I don't mind whichever term is used, personaly, but I do
want a RFC with no consistency between the terms. So far, it's only a
draft, so things can be changed, and people can get used to it. After,
that wouldn't be possible anymore.

I find root-MR much clearer and consistent that TLMR ; on the other
hand, one may argue that NEMO-prefix is longer than MNP (but NEMO-prefix
bring the meaning of a prefix within the mobile network).

We will make a decision on these at SD, definitely.

Thierry.

---

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:30:33 +0200

> >
> >>>3.7 NEMO-prefix (MNP)
> >>>
> >>>   An acronym for Mobile Network Prefix (as defined in [2])
> >>
> >>why introduce this term if we are not re-defining it? MNP has been
> >>widely used on the mailing list and in the NEMO Basic Support spec.
I
> >>prefer MNP (Mobile Network Prefix) over NEMO-prefix.
> >
> >
> > This is an abbreviation for Mobile Network Prefix, so the defintion
is
> > the one in "Mobile Network Prefix". May be I can state this in a
> > different way.
> >
> > regarding NEMO-Prefix vs MNP, this is a long history of mails (I
cannot
> > point the month, nor the subject line without doing a search - I
don't
> > have time for it know, so if someone knows, please post this to us).
> > Alexandru has constantly opposed NEMO-Prefix, as TJ, if I recall,
but
> > some have supported NEMO-Prefix if I'm not mistaken. In any case, I
> > proposed this term at the IETF meeting and there was no opposition.
> >
> > So, what's the purpose of the meetings if people don't oppose to the
> > propositions made there ?
> 
> not everyone attends all meetings (I didnt attend the meeting in
> Seoul). I think decisions taken during a WG meeting do not hold
> until they are confirmed on the mailing list.

Pascal