Subject: [nemo] Comments on draft-na-nemo-gen-ro-model-00

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:52:14 +0200

Dear authors of draft-na-nemo-gen-ro-model-00,

The draft proposes a generic model for RO for moving networks.  The
model contains 3 generic entities TE (Tunnel Endpoint), TS (Switcher)
and TR (Relay) interconnected in a linear topology with a TE at each end
and TS's and TR's in between.  The model also defines attributes ROI
(who's initiating RO), ROR (who's responding) and others such as ROTS,
RORI, RODM and ROTT.

The draft then maps known RO methods (such as ORC) on the generic RO
model and finds that, for the ORC example, the TE is MR, ROI is MR, ROR
is an ORC Router and, among attributes, that RODM is IPv6 anycast
addressing.

The draft is work in progress.  Initially I was excited by the abstract
saying "we analyze typical RO problems by virtue of that [framework]",
because I'm looking for RO problems.  However, the current text only
contains two short descriptions of such problems: "optimized path" and
"nested tunnelling", lightly described.

But it is a good reading, that shows that many RO solutions can be
effectively classified, like with a taxonomy.  It also shows that very
many RO solutions are possible (RO solution space is large), which is good.

Alex