Subject: RE: provisioning system? (was: [nemo] New draft on prefix delegation)

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:29:38 +0200

Hi Alex

A provisioning system is the part of the OSS that sets up thing
automatically. For instance you reach into such a system when you create
an account on a webmail. Some be very very complex. 
Also, there's a lot of customization (service) to perform in order to
adapt a generic product for a service provider. You could try google to
get more. For instance, Microsoft has a product called MPS.
http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/mps/default.asp

In the flow of creating a user account, a provisioning system might have
to create derived information such as the configuration of a mobile
router. The system might not be able to feed that config into the router
transactionally. But it could save the relevant information in a
database that the HA could read, eg using diameter or radius. A specific
flow is needed when the user's device boots for the first time. This
relates to the MIPv6 bootstrap problem.

This new draft addresses that problem, amongst others such as implicit
config check.

Pascal

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: mercredi 20 octobre 2004 17:06
> To: Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
> Cc: T.J.Kniveton; IETF NEMO WG
> Subject: Re: provisioning system? (was: [nemo] New draft on prefix
delegation)
> 
> Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:
> > Allocation might be done by a provisioning system as opposed to a
> > DHCP server.
> 
> Sorry for being completely ignorant about "provisioning system", but
> what is it more exactly?  I've searched the RFC's and I found
> "provisioning" in RFC3730 (EPP: Extensible Provisioning Protocol).
> Internet Drafts have CAPWAP for Provisioning of Wireless Access
Points.
>   Which of those two? (actually none claims to be an alternative to
DHCP).
> 
> Or do you refer to a completely independent MR having no Home and
asking
> for a prefix directly from Registrars?  Remark this could be automated
> as well...
> 
> Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:00:55 +0200

Pascal, seems to me like you are talking about what was formerly known
as ASP Application Service Provider.  Although I'm aware of several ASP
products I'm not aware of any joint effort to standardize interfaces.
Or maybe webservices aka SOAP and XML.  But those are completely outside
the scope of NEMO.

If on the other hand MSP requires prefixes in the BU/BAck then it should
be explicitely stated so.  Please describe the architecture that MSP
assumes.  I very well see a NEMO over MSP informational draft.

> A provisioning system is the part of the OSS that sets up thing

OSS: Open Source Software, Operating System Stack

> automatically. For instance you reach into such a system when you 
> create an account on a webmail. Some be very very complex. Also, 
> there's a lot of customization (service) to perform in order to adapt
>  a generic product for a service provider. You could try google to 
> In the flow of creating a user account, a provisioning system might 
> have to create derived information such as the configuration of a 
> mobile router. The system might not be able to feed that config into
>  the router transactionally. But it could save the relevant 
> information in a database that the HA could read, eg using diameter 
> or radius.

Do you know whether diameter/radius use DHCP?  I guess yes but I'm not sure.

> A specific flow is needed when the user's device boots for the first 
> time. This relates to the MIPv6 bootstrap problem.
> 
> This new draft addresses that problem, amongst others such as 
> implicit config check.

Alex