Subject: [nemo] Draft proposal for prefix delegation in NEMO

From: Chelius Guillaume <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:26:20 +0100

Hi folks,

We submitted a draft about prefix delegation for NEMO.
This draft proposes a distributed mechanism for prefix autoconfiguration in an
IPv6 network.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chelius-nemo-router-autoconf-00.txt  

Contrarily to classical prefix delegation mechanisms such as a DHCP adaptation,
the proposed protocol is completely distributed and does not rely on any
centralized server. It uses a link-state approach to detect auto-configured
prefixes collisions as well as to perform collision avoidance while attributing
a prefix to a new link.

Your comments are welcome.

Best regards,
Guillaume Chelius.
----------------------------
ARES Project, INRIA
web: http://ares.insa-lyon.fr/~gchelius
mail: [email-masked]
phone: (+33) 472 436 182
fax: (+33) 472 436 227

---

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:25:35 +0100

| -----Original Message-----
| From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
| Guillaume Chelius
| Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:45 AM
| To: Shubhranshu
| Cc: [email-masked]; Eun Kyoung PAIK
| Subject: Re: [nemo] Draft proposal for prefix delegation in NEMO
| 
| Hello Shubhranshu,
| 
| Our draft is not related with MANet autoconf. MANet autoconf aims at
| providing unicast addresses to MANet nodes which is not the case in
our
| draft. Our goal is to number links, in other words to attribute Subnet
| IDs to links,  in a  classical network (e.g. SOHO) where some
| dynamicity can occur. It is an alternate and distributed proposal to
| classical prefix delegation mechanisms.

I would be disappointed that this be out of autoconf scope: we have a
number of MANET protocols that can carry not only host addresses but
also prefixes, and there are a number of use cases where this is
required (see MANEMO). So there is a very good value in populating
prefixes as well.

Also, MANET does not necessarily mean moving a lot. It's more like no
preengineered structure and everyone keeps his address. But even that
might need a bootstrap. There again, MANEMO should cover mostly fixed
configurations (such as L3 mesh networks).

So I see a great value in your draft in that space.

Pascal