Subject: [nemo] Fwd: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt

From: Ana Minaburo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:31:30 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eun Kyoung PAIK <[email-masked]>
Date: Apr 3, 2005 3:44 PM
Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : ROHC (Robust Header Compression) in NEMO network
        Author(s)       : A. Minaburo, et al.
        Filename        : draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt
        Pages           : 0
        Date            : 2005-3-9

This document defines the use of ROHC header compression mechanisms
for the NEMO Basic Support protocol [9]. The idea is to use both
NEMO and ROHC as they have been defined without any change. The
tunneling in the NEMO Basic Support protocol will be done over
different supports (Wireless LAN, 3G or PPP) links, where ROHC
compression can work.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:54:08 -0700

In general, I like the the idea of using ROHC in the tunnel between
the mobile router and the home agent, to reduce the tunnel overhead.
I would like to see this draft standardized.

one quick comment.

> As the addresses are classified as static, each time the MR changes 
> its attachment point the ROHC context will be initialized.

wonder why? the MR could just send a binding update to the HA from
the new CoA. binding updates are sent reliably. when the HA processes
the binding update, its updates the ROHC context with the new CoA.
once the MR receives a binding acknowledgement which shows success
status, it also updates the local ROHC context with the new CoA.

Vijay

Ana Minaburo wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:59:09 +1000

Hi Vijay,

I think there may be some value in this, if more than just the next
IPv6 header can be compressed.   If it doesn't mitigate the
NEMO MTU issue, people may not care for it.

Regarding the draft itself:

Section 2 has all of the details about ROHC compression.
For the 7 paragraphs after paragraph 2, there is not a single
explicit reference to the ROHC documents for NEMO people to
investigate.

This section, while brimming with details, seems to leave me feeling
I don't have enough ROHC context myself.  It would be good to have
diagrams illustrating which headers will be subject to compression,
and some considerations about the NEMOs themselves (apart from the
10 lines in the first, second and last paragraph of the section).
After all, it is called:  "The use of ROHC in NEMO"

Apart from that, it seems like a good idea in general,
not just for NEMO.  It seems like a MIPv6 HA/MAP/FMIPv6AR issue
too, although the addresses in the upper layer tunnel have more
constrained destinations in the non-router case.

I didn't see any text about packet reordering in the document.
I'd guess that the Internet is about the most likely point-to-point
medium to re-order packets.

> status, it also updates the local ROHC context with the new CoA.

Actually, I'm not sure that the draft text itself was accurate.

If addresses INSIDE the tunnel changed, then there would have to be
changes to the binding or to the context.

Why would there need to be changes to the context if the transporting
tunnel endpoint addresses - the outer addresses (which aren't subject
to compression) change?

The data transferred on the tunnel doesn't change because of the CoA
change.

I'd like to see this document develop maybe as informational
if no NEMO-specific protocol issues arise.

Greg

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:18:46 +0200

I'm not sure the present draft is really doing much more than pointing 
out a potential use for ROHC.

To get interoperability, one would need to
-- specify how the use of ROHC is negotiated or otherwise initiated 
between the parties
-- specify the encapsulation
-- specify how to deal with reordering (see also 
draft-ietf-rohc-over-reordering-02.txt, which just went to WGLC)
-- possibly select a subset of the now no longer trivial gamut of ROHC 
profiles to choose from.
A standards-track document should nail down these (and anything I might 
have forgotten).
We can do without a rehash of ROHC fundamentals.
(A couple of diagrams/examples pointing out how the result of the whole 
thing will look like would be nice, though.)

RFC 3241 is one example for the kind of "ROHC-over-X" document needed.

Clearly, the two working groups will need to collaborate on this.
I don't have a strong feeling which working group should be the "home" 
WG.
Given that similar considerations apply in other uses of ROHC in a 
mobile IP environment, I'd like to spend some time hallway-discussing 
this with the usual suspects in Paris.

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Ranjitsinh Wable <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:56:37 +0530

Hi,

I agree with Greg and Carsten. The draft just suggest that we can use ROHC
 in the NEMO but does not cover any details about actual usage of it.

Further disucssions and the modification to the draft will help in the 
generating better document.

--Wable

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; "Vijay Devarapalli" <[email-masked]>; "Carsten 
Bormann" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "Henrik Levkowetz" 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: [rohc] Re: [nemo] Fwd: FW: 
I-DACTION:draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-00.txt

> I'm not sure the present draft is really doing much more than pointing out 
> a potential use for ROHC.
>
> I don't have a strong feeling which working group should be the "home" WG.
> Given that similar considerations apply in other uses of ROHC in a mobile 
> IP environment, I'd like to spend some time hallway-discussing this with 
> the usual suspects in Paris.
>
> Gruesse, Carsten
>
>
>
>

---

From: "Eun Kyoung PAIK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:48:47 +0900

Hi Folks,

Thank you for all of your interest and comments on our draft.
We will resolve the comments on this mailing list and announce the new
version of draft soon.

Best Regards,
Eun Kyoung

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Ranjitsinh Wable
> Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 10:27 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [rohc] Re: [nemo] Fwd: FW:I-DACTION:draft-minaburo-rohc-nemo-
> 00.txt
> 
> Hi,
> 
> mobile