Subject: Re: [nemo] Home address of mobile router

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:16:04 +0100

Takaaki Moriya wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> 
> I have a question concerning home address of mobile router.
> What RFC3963 (especially section 6.2) means is as follows ?
> 
> 
> Home address of mobile router can be
> A) configured with its ingress interface
> B) configured with its egress interface
> 
> and then, mobile router supports either A) or B) for home registration
> and any other functions, while home agent must support both A) and B).

I am not sure exactly what is the question...

The intention in the document is to leave open the possibility of MR to
configure its Home Address derived either from the egress interface or
from the ingress interface.  The document tries to not forbid deriving
the Home Address from the ingress, and not from the egress either.

However, it is clear that the Home Address should be derived only from
one of the interfaces (it can't be derived from both at the same time).

What is the doubt about HA supporting both ingress- and egress-derived
MR Home Address style, and the MR supporting only one?

In implementation, I prefer and recommend only the the Home Address
derived from the egress interface home prefix (and no Home Address
derived from the MNP).  Other recommendations exist though.

Alex

---

From: Takaaki Moriya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:24:21 +0900

Hello Alexandru,

Thank you very much.

Yes, my question supposes the Home Address derived only from one of the
interfaces at the same time. So there are three cases:

Implementation 1)
a mobile router configured with its Home Address derived from the egress
interface at any time

Implementation 2)
a mobile router configured with its Home Address derived from the
ingress interface at any time

Implementation 3)
a mobile router which can be configured with its Home Address derived
from the egress interface at one time, and from the ingress interface at
another time

So my question about MR is that the RFC does not permits only one of the
above cases, but it permits all the above cases.

> the Home Address from the ingress, and not from the egress either.

Yes, this comment seems to solve my question about MR  :-)

Meanwhile, my doubt about HA is that every home agent must accept all
the above cases of MRs ?  I think that the rule of HA is more severe
than that of MR.

Best Regards,
Takaaki Moriya

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:16:04 +0100

-- 
Takaaki Moriya <[email-masked]>