Subject: RE: [nemo] RE: draft-ietf-nemo-home-network-models-05

From: "Mattias Pettersson L \(LD/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:09:25 +0100

Hi Pascal,

> Yes, the idea is that the prefix is generally shorter than /64. 
> 
> We had long discussions in this ML about autoconfigs with 
> shorter prefixes (Alex?). But yes, NEMO should work in theory 
> with a shorter prefix assigned to the Home Link. Note that 
> NEMO does not require autoconf operations; and last that I 
> know, a Cisco router will not auto-configure an address on a 
> prefix that is shorter than 64. 

I'm not sure that ND will work for anything but /64. Maybe the intention
was so, but as you say, not all implementations support different prefix
lengths.

Still you will need the address resolution parts of ND, even though the
HA and MRs doesn't autoconfigure addresses on the home link.

The big issue is the ambiguity of which link/subnet a specific address
belongs to. For instance, given a packet destined to a specific MNN,
does the HA know if it should route (via an MR) or send directly to the
MNN (by using ND address resolution to get the MAC address)?

ND proxy/MLSR according to Thaler extends a /64 subnet across multiple
links. But the suggested behaviour here is different.

/Mattias