Subject: RE: [nemo] Re: is global HAHA so complex?

From: "Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:54:37 +0200

>>>
>>> 4G telephones are multihomed by definition. besides, the end device
>> [Pascal]
>> [Pascal] I am afraid there is some confusion here. I think we were
>> talking about multiple Home Networks not multiple interfaces on the
>> phone. In that context, could you please elaborate why 4G phones are
>> multi-homed by definition?
>>
>
>Ok, you mean why a telephone may need multiple Home Networks?
>
>Well, i guess that if you have a 4G phone and you have multiple
>provider, you want to be able to be reachable through all the
>providers.
>
>We do agree that is a desired feature to be able to have differetn
>providers for different technologies, right? So that you don't have to
>rely on a single provider giving UMTS, WIFI services for instance.
>
>In this scenario, you probably also want to have a stable address from
>each of the providers, so that you can by pass any of the providers. I
>mean if you are going to have a communication through the WiFI
>interface, you don't want to have to exchange the initial packets and
>the HoTI packets through the UMTS interface, right?
>
>So i really think that it is a very useful feature that 4G phones hame
>multiple Home Addresses associated to different providers and different
>technologies
>
>makes sense to you?
>
[Pascal] May happen... for some geeks who can tweak their phones. 
That would not be the normal case for my grand ma. And I would not base
any RO on this. Again redundancy but no RO (and a lot of hidden
complexities).

When my phone number is an IP address, I want to be always reachable at
that IP address. So providing a real redundancy to Home makes sense, 
before you enter complex solutions based on presence or SHIM6 to 
duplicate everything on the clients.

Pascal

---

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:21:38 +0300

> [Pascal] May happen... for some geeks who can tweak their phones.

I don't know.. i would expect that if i pay my mobile phone, this is 
supported wihtout tweaks  (of course this would be differetn if the 
operator is subsidizing the phone)

>
> When my phone number is an IP address,

not really i would expect that for IP phones my phone number is a URI, 
FQDN or something like this that is easier to remember and it can 
easily be mapped to multiple IP addresses

>  I want to be always reachable at

well, that is idea in putting intelegence in the edges and not in the 
core, which seems to be the basis for scalability. I guess bottom line 
disucssion here is about design principles. Of course that having the 
clients to perform the functions imply additional complexities in the 
clients, but making the network providing the fucntions, adds 
compelxity to the netowrk, makes it less scalable and makes it more 
rigid.

regards, marcelo