Subject: RE: on <close-session>

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 19:10:01 +0530

Eliot Lear wrote:

>  - an agent MUST cease processing <RPC>s if it determines that it has
>    lost communications with the manager, and release all state
>    associated with the session, including locks.

Is this para concerned with a normal termination using close-session
command?

If yes, is it a expected behaviour that manager will terminate a session
immediately on sending a close-session OR should it wait until it
recieves a <ok> reply from the manager?

IMO, manager should not terminate a session immediately at the end of a
close-session command and should wait until it recieves a <ok> reply.

For example: If the user wants to run the following script on a daily
basis:
<get-config>
<edit-config>
<commit>
<close-session>

All the commands should be pipelined, so the close-session would get
executed only at the end of the commit operation.

Regards
Jayaprakash

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:51:31 +0200

There are four cases to discuss:

  - manager initiates normal close
  In this case, nobody should close the underlying communication path
  until the agent has responded to all outstanding <RPC>s.
  - agent initiates normal close
  In this case, the agent SHOULD NOT initiate a close until it has
  processed all outstanding RPCs.
  - manager realizes it's lost the communication channel
  Error condition.  Stop sending until you've dealt with the error ;-)
  - agent realizes it's lost the connection
  Complete any RPC that is currently being executed and then stop
  so that the manager can deal with the error...

Additional comments below:

> Is this para concerned with a normal termination using close-session

NO.

> close-session command and should wait until it recieves a <ok> reply.

Right.  transport should remain intact under normal circumstances until 
<OK> is received.  Then transport mapping dictates close procedures.

> executed only at the end of the commit operation.

Yah.

Eliot
ps: I'm not sure what it means to see a confidentiality notice on a 
public mailing list...