Subject: FW: OASIS DCML Network technical committee

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:57:40 +0200

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 10:27
To: Bert Wijnen
Cc: David Kessens; Mike Baskey
Subject: OASIS DCML Network technical committee

Bert,

Here's another complication in the network management area that
I and my colleagues want to be sure you and David are aware of.

OASIS "adopted" the Data Center Markup Language (DCML) some time
ago, and the related Technical Committees are now started. One
of them is the DCML Network TC:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dcml-network

"The purpose of the OASIS DCML Network TC is to design a data model and
XML-based format for the exchange of information about networking
elements in a data center. The OASIS DCML Network TC builds on and
supports the DCML Framework specification produced by the OASIS DCML
Framework TC while focusing on the specifics of network equipment and
technology....

"In spite of the fuzzy definition of "network component," the following
are specifically in scope.

     * Connectivity and cabling
     * Layer 2 MAC bridging and switching
     * Layer 2 VLANs
     * Layer 3 switching and routing
     * Firewalls
     * Intrusion detection systems
     * IPSec Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)..."

The potential overlap and redundancy with Netconf is obvious. I have
not looked at this work in detail, so I can't say whether there is
actual overlap, but it seems to me this needs to be checked.

Regards
      Brian

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:01:56 -0400

>actual overlap, but it seems to me this needs to be checked.

This appears to be just bootstrapping.  The "Call For Participation"
was dated 10/29 and the mailing list and comments archives are
empty, as is the calendar.  The first meeting's 11/15 but there are
no details available.  The only participant listed in Inkra Networks,
though there are nine oasis members listed in the proposal, who
will assumably be involved.

Is anyone familiar with oasis?  Will the first meeting set up the
deliverables?  Is it more organizational?  How long before the
membership gels sufficient to begin forward progress?  How long
does an oasis tc typically exist?  Is anyone out there intending
on joining this TC?  Is anyone on existing oasis TCs?  What's your
experience been?

Each of the bullets listed as in scope seems like a fairly serious
chunk of work, but perhaps they are only doing framework issues or
are intending to reference existing standards (MIBs, etc).

Thanks,
 Phil