Subject: Testing and Diagnostics

From: "Hedstrom, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:24:03 -0600

I realize that the NETCONF protocol is addressing the network configuration
and provisioning peice of network management.  It also seems to cover the
Performance Management side by specifying messages to retreive state data
which can include PM statistics.  In addition, it can also cover Inventory
Management by a similar state data retreival.
Obvisouly, it does not provide any fault management capabilities due to the
lack of autonomous message support (although SOAP/Web Services can solve
this).
But, has there been any discussion about Diagnostics and Testing?  Is this a
distictly different area than Configuration Management?  The model would
need to support:
1. Creating a standby configuration that will support the required testing
and take interfaces out of service, etc.
2. Activate/Commit this configuration while backing up the running config
3. Allowing a manager to initiate a test or series of tests (this can be
treated like a config change).
4. After the tests have completed (need a way to signify this since we
shouldn't necessarily rely on Trap notifications), need the ability for the
manager to retreive the testing results.
4a. May need the ability to cancel/abort any running tests
5. Replace the testing configuration with the backup running configuration.
 
Thanks,

Brian Hedstrom 
CarrierAccess 
NetworkValet EMS Product Development 
303.218.5429 - Office 
303.218.5629 - Fax 
[email-masked]