Subject: Re: netconf meeting notes

From: Len Nieman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:29 -0500 (EST)

>Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:39 -0500 (EST)
>From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
>To: Len Nieman <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: netconf meeting notes 
>
>Len Nieman writes:
>>"Phil Shafer also suggests that there might be cases where one
>>want to get access to configuration data, even if there is an
>>existing lock."
>
>A particular example of this:  In JUNOS, the entire UI runs over
>an XML-based API (JUNOScript) and we'd like to convert it over to
>netconf.  Having a provisioning application manipulating the
>config should not prevent the user from being able to do a "show
>configuration".   This would not fly in the UI.
>
>Thanks,
> Phil

My background and training is primarily in Network Management and
Troubleshooting. But I've also been tasked to be the "domain
expert" (I hate that term) for a group of provisioning system
and troubleshooting tool developers in the past.

I found provisioning system developers would become so focused on
configuration managment, they would sometimes forget there are
many others accessing those devices besides provisioners. And
some of the things they wanted to do to protect the integrity of
the configuration would prevent those other folks from doing
their jobs.

I've used JUNOScript a few times. My main problem with it was
that it wasn't granular enough as a base for a troubleshooting
tool. Very much like a CLI, you'd have to pull back 120KB of data
to get the 15KB of info you're actually looking for.

Take care,
Len Nieman

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:57:43 -0500

Len Nieman writes:
>My main problem with it was
>tool.

Are you talking about having to pull multiple sub-trees to get, say,
the interfaces, igp protocol, and firewall information you'd need
to be able to diagnose a problem?  Are you looking for more specific
queries or better filtering?

Thanks,
 Phil