Subject: FW: Last Call: 'The Extensible Markup Language (XML) Configuratio n Access Protocol (XCAP)' to Proposed Standard

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:36:23 +0100

I ahve not looked at this document yet.
But the title/abstract sounds as if we may want to check it.

Bert

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 16:27
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Last Call: 'The Extensible Markup Language (XML) Configuration
Access Protocol (XCAP)' to Proposed Standard 

The IESG has received a request from the SIP for Instant Messaging and 
Presence Leveraging Extensions WG to consider the following document:

- 'The Extensible Markup Language (XML) Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP) '
   <draft-ietf-simple-xcap-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2004-12-28.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-05.txt

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:39:20 +0100

> But the title/abstract sounds as if we may want to check it.

I referred earlier to this piece of work since it is very related
to what netconf is doing and they use a so called node selector
which is a subset of full XPath (and I mentioned this while we
were working through the issue of XPath support within NETCONF).

So yes, I consider this related work (as much as I consider the
EPP related work). However, things differ quite a bit in the details
and have different community background. Over time, I have learned
that having multiple approaches to solve related problems but which
take the specifics into account is not necessarily a bad thing.
XCAP is designed to access configurations of a certain set of
applications which netconf focusses on network devices mainly.
There are differences between these spaces and so there may be
differences between the approaches.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Sandeep Adwankar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:24:54 -0600

This protocol relies on HTTP-based semantics. Seems similar to "REST"?
http://dsonline.computer.org/0412/d/oz001a.htm
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/ws/2002/02/20/rest.html?page=1

--Sandeep