Subject: Re: last call comments on the mapping documents

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:51:57 -0500

Thanks for the comments on the SSH document, Juergen.  I'll try to 
get an update out that addresses them before the I-D deadline.

Most of them are straightforward and/or editorial, but there is one 
topic that I think should be discussed in the WG before I make the 
changes you have suggested...

You seem to think that we should remove everything about how NETCONF 
could be run in an interactive command-line environment (such as a 
standard SSH login or telnet session), but that information has been 
in the document since the beginning (literally years ago at this 
point), and I think that you have been the only person to make that 
suggestion.

Do others agree?  Or are there folks who would prefer that we keep 
the information in the document about how to run over interactive 
login sessions?

Margaret

At 12:27 AM +0100 1/20/05, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
>I finally managed to write down my last call review comments for
>the NETCONF mappings documents.
[...]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:31:03 +0100

> point), and I think that you have been the only person to make that 

Here is what I wrote:

: 2) I think sections 2, 3, and 4 stress too much the interactive start
:    of the ssh subsystem. I would prefer that the text really just
:    explains how NETCONF runs over ssh. In other words, I suggest to
:    show the capability exchange currently shown in section 2 in
:    section 3 where it is discussed. All the material specific to
:    typical ssh clients should IMHO go into section 5.

:    If people prefer to keep the command line to start an ssh
:    conversation in the document, then it should at least be changed
:    to accomodate the netconf specific port since I understand that
:    NETCONF over ssh uses a new well-known port to be assigned by
:    IANA.

I guess the beginning of the second paragraph is confusing. I just
want a separation of the definition or running netconf over ssh from
the specifics how to invoke a netconf subsystem from an interactive
shell. The proposal is simply to move all text that talks about 
command line client specifics from section 2 and 3 to section 5.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:54:43 -0500

Margaret Wasserman writes:
>..
>Do others agree?

I agree.

Thanks,
 Phil