Subject: RE: configuration vs operational requests

From: "Faye Ly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:31:55 -0700

Daniel,

What kind of operational request?  Can you please provide an example?
Thanks.

-faye

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Phil Shafer
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 8:42 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: configuration vs operational requests 

"Daniel Mcgillivray \(LN/EAB\)" writes:
>I am familiar with the Junoscript protocol as used by Juniper on its
routers. It is clear that
> Netconf has many the same concepts as Junoscript (or vice versa?).

Yes, netconf builds on the experience we gained with Junoscript.

>My question is, whether there exists a similar development of a
protocol for so called operati
>onal requests towards network elements? Are there plans to extend
Netconf into this area, alth
>ough it is not directly configuration related. SNMP of course is an
obvious answer, but I woul
>d like to know if there are others alternatives which go hand in hand
with Netconf.

Netconf is primarily concerned with configuration, but the capability
mechanism allows the creation of additional RPCs, including operational
requests.  Defining such RPCs wasn't the initial target of the working
group, but will likely come up as the current drafts are put to bed.

Thanks,
 Phil

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>