Subject: End WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netconf-prot-06.txt

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:09:35 -0700

Hi,

The Working Group Last Call for the NETCONF Configuration Protocol
has concluded.  Some issues have been identified and most of them
are resolved. 

The following issues are considered resolved:
  - confirmed-commit
    - confirm-timeout units changed from minutes to seconds
      - default value now '600' instead of '10'
    - if 2nd commit contains a 'confirmed' parameter, then
        if the <candidate> is dirty, this new commit starts a new
        confirmed-commit.  If not, then there is nothing new to commit
        so the 2nd 'confirmed' should be ignored.
    - if the session issuing the first commit is lost before the second
      commit is issued, the agent reverts the config (and cancels the 
timeout)
    - if the agent reboots after the first commit but before the second
      commit is issued, the agent reverts the config (and cancels the 
timeout)
      upon reboot.
  - access control
    Add text to sec 4.3: rpc-error (something to this affect):
    The agent must insure that application-level error information
    (e.g., from a <validate> operation) is suppressed if the user does not
    have sufficient access rights to the underlying data models
    associated with the application-level error information.

The following issues are not completely resolved:
 - XML Directorate review comments
   - use of fragments to identify capabilities.
     [Not sure how important this is in NETCONF, since <capability>
     strings are to be used for exact-match only -- no parsing involved.]
   - other XML style issues like use of attributes instead of elements
     [Waiting for response from Phil Shafer, but no document changes 
likely.]
   - document clarification requests
     [Hopefully Rob understands the edits.]

IMO the XML style issues should not hold up the document progress,
especially since there doesn't seem to be much agreement within
the XML Directorate on these issues.

Unless there are strong objections raised on this mailing list,
the changes described above will be made and a new prot-07 version issued.
This new version will not be subject to another WG Last Call,
and will instead be forwarded to the Area Director for publication
consideration as a Proposed Standard RFC.

thanks,
Andy and Simon

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>