Subject: few comments on the prot-06 draft

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 09:36:29 -0700

Hi,

Throughout the text, whenever a parameter value is mentioned,
such as test-then-set, it should appear in single quotes,
e.g., 'test-then-set'.  Some text like this could be confusing if you 
don't have
all the tag names memorized yet ;-)

The 'confirm-commit' parameter in the XSD is incorrect.
There is no 'type' attribute defined so an empty element is
the only allowed construct.  The following text is needed
in the 'confirm-timeout' element:   type="xs:positiveInteger"

It appears an issue (which was brought up on the mailing list)
slipped through the cracks, which would cause a semantic change:

  - PROT, sec. 8.4.5.1  (confirmed commit parameters)
    units of confirm-timeout not granular enough

I strongly agree with the proposal to change the units of the 
confirm-timeout
parameter from minutes to seconds.  There are already use cases where
the minimum rollback trigger of one minute is too slow.  Networks get
faster not slower, so we should fix this now before it's too late.  The 
default
can still be 10 minutes (value == 600 instead of 10).

Please comment on the mailing list regarding this issue, so we can decide if
there is consensus to make this change.

thanks,
Andy

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 12:00:48 -0400

Andy Bierman writes:
>the minimum rollback trigger of one minute is too slow.

Can you share some of your use cases?  IMHO declaring failure and
triggering recovery procedures with such a fine timer is likely to
cause as many issue as it solves.

Thanks,
 Phil

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 10:23:49 -0700

>cause as many issue as it solves.
IMO, in environments with very reliable fast connectivity (<1s RTT), on 
large devices in which
many incremental changes to the config are common (e.g., circuit 
provisioning), it is undesirable
to wait a whole minute to recover from a config mistake that disrupts or 
crashes the device,
especially since we only have global locking.

However, if there isn't any consensus to change the units then let's 
leave it alone and
fix it in the future if needed.

Andy