Subject: Netconf on Debian

From: Nikolas Valcarcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 12:20:08 -0500

Hi, im looking for some application to configure the network on some
Debian servers, and i think in netconf, but i haven't found it, there
are some way to use it on debian? i also can't find the sources of
netconf to see if it is possible to patch it for Debian, can someone
send me the sources or some link to download netconf for Debian?

thank you for your time

-- 
aka nxvl   
Key fingerprint: E140 4CC7 5E3C B6B4 DCA7  F6FD D22E 2FB4 A9BA 6877
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys A9BA6877  
"Nada cuesta ser educado y responder amablemente"
"Si no tienes nada inteligente que decir, mejor quedate callado"

---

From: Vincent Cridlig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 16:14:07 +0200

Hi,

The Madynes research team has just released a new implementation of a 
Netconf agent (YencaP).
We also released:
    - A light Netconf client
    - A web server to manage the Netconf agents. (Yenca-Man)
    - A BGP module that can be integrated into YencaP to manage BGP 
router configuration. (XBGP-man)

YencaP is implemented in Python programming language and works under 
Linux (tested with Fedora, Debian and Gentoo).
The license of this network management suite (EnSuite) is LGPL.
It is available for download in our web page: 
http://madynes.loria.fr/ensuite

Any questions, suggestions for improvement or comments are welcome.

Regards,
Vincent CRIDLIG

email: [email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 08:11:38 -0700

> Any questions, suggestions for improvement or comments are welcome.

Glad to see implementers at work already!
I can't tell from a quick look at the docs what transport is being used.
Are any of the 3 application mapping drafts supported?

> Vincent CRIDLIG

thanks,
Andy

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 16:56:08 +0200

> The Madynes research team has just released a new implementation of a 

[...]

> Any questions, suggestions for improvement or comments are welcome.

Like the previous yenca release (which was written in C), you do not seem
to support any of the three transport mappings that are discussed in the
working group. The first yenca release used a TLS stream (but did not
get the framing quite right) while this release runs netconf over TCP
(but with a frame marking mechanism that is different from the one used
in the netconf over ssh specification). In addition, you seems to
support encryption and compression above the netconf rpc layer, which 
does not match the approach taken by the WG (which is to leave encryption 
and compression to the transport).

I did not look through the other parts of the code but I am wondering
how much netconf there actually is in yenca. I also like to know why you
did depart from the netconf transport specifications (and perhaps other
parts of netconf) and whether there is anything that the WG can learn
from this.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 23:56:44 +0200

Thanks for the comments.

The current release has an optional encryption and compression module, which is
mere optional. Its just an implementation of our IEEE/IFIP Integrated
Management IM  2005 paper. Anyway, its usage is optional and transparent,
basically if an application does not want to use them, everyhing should work
just fine.

We will support only the SSH binding in the short future: for the moment one has
to rely on standart TCP/SSH tunneling, but we will add a programmatic support
shortly.

Regarding the frame marking, your are right. We will change it tomorrow, we
forgot to change it. Thanks for pointing it out to us.

There are some additional (with respect to the draft) features in the agent
(like role based access control, XSLT pushing/rendering, etc), but they are
optional in usage and transparent for a normal usage.

Thanks one more time and please send us more comments/bugs notification.

Rearding other potential interesting experience for the WG, we can post (if
there is interest for, after IM 2005) a technical report on some implemented
extensions  to the draft and benchmarking results which are rather surprising.

RS

---

From: Vincent Cridlig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:28:37 +0200

Hi,

YencaP now supports Netconf over SSH. This underlying application 
protocol is the default one in YencaP.

We updated Yencap with standard message separator (meaning ]]>]]> 
caracter) instead of the previous method which
consisted of sending the size of the request and then the request itself.
For interoperability, all alternative features (XML-Encryption, 
Role-based access control, compression) are disabled when using SSH.

For test purpose, YencaP still supports optionnally NetConf over TCP 
with the alternative security model and compression.

Thanks for the comments and interest.
Feel free to send more comments, questions and/or suggestions.

Best regards,
Vincent Cridlig