Subject: NETCONF versioning

From: "Stig Solberg \(LN/EAB\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:14:13 +0200

Hi,
I have a few questions regarding versioning in NETCONF.
Looking at the draft it seems like versioning is meant to be solved 
using Namespaces that includes a version. This seems to be the 
case for the protocol version as well as the "content layer version".

My questions:
a) Is the above statement a correct interpretation of the standard?
b) In case of version mismatch, is the 'unknown-namespace' error sent from
the server supposed to include both the errornous and the correct namespace?
c) Wouldn't it be a good idea that versions where exchanged at Session start;
for instance in the same way as Capabilities are exanged (using the hello element)?
In this way a Client would know if the versions matches and decide whether
to continue the session or not.

Best regards,
Stig

Stig Solberg
Software Engineer
Ericsson AB
Email: [email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:05:07 -0700

>a) Is the above statement a correct interpretation of the standard?
the protocol is not concerned with content versioning.  The protocol 
itself is identified
by the netconf namespace URI.  If the version changed in the future, 
there would be a
different URI assigned to that version.

>the server supposed to include both the errornous and the correct namespace?
no -- We don't know how to determine the 'correct' namespace in a 
standard way.

>c) Wouldn't it be a good idea that versions where exchanged at Session start;
they are -- in the netconf namespace URI. 

>to continue the session or not.
the agent and manager need to exact-match the netconf URI string or
shutdown the session immediately.  There is no version negotiation.
It is unclear at this time if  netconf entities in the future should 
advertise
all versions they support or just the newest. 

>Email: [email-masked]
Andy