Subject: Netconf over SSH

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:43:52 +0200

I think the subsystem name 'netconf' needs registering with IANA.  I find the
ssh document not clear over this, but on balance I think subsystem names do need
registering.

I would take this to need a normative reference to

 [SSH-NUMBERS]
              Lonvick, C., "SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers",
              I-D draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-12.txt, March 2005.

Tom Petch

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:32:35 -0400

Hi Tom,

 From a quick look at the referenced draft, it does look like we 
should register the "netconf" service name.  Thanks for catching 
this!  I don't think that this will present a problem, since 
secsh-assignednumbers is in the RFC editor queue, along with all of 
the core SSH drafts.

Andy and Simon, should I just do an update for this?  Or do you think 
we should run this by the WG first?

Margaret

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 06:31:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

It's making it through IANA at this time.

  http://www.iana.org/assignments/ssh-parameters

I have not had time to review this.

I believe that you are going to want to register a new Connection Protocol
Channel Request Name - similar to 'exec' and 'shell'.

The references got messed up in the last revision.  I've notified the RFC
Editor to expect this correction:

   [SSH-NUMBERS]
              Lehtinen, S. and C. Lonvick, Ed., "SSH Protocol Assigned
              Numbers", I-D draft-ietf-assignednumbers-12.txt, April
              2005.

Best of Luck,
Chris

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 06:57:09 -0700

Margaret Wasserman wrote:

>
> Hi Tom,
>
> From a quick look at the referenced draft, it does look like we should 
> register the "netconf" service name.  Thanks for catching this!  I 
> don't think that this will present a problem, since 

Just update the draft -- we don't need to review an
omission in the IANA Considerations section.

> Margaret

Andy

---

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:49:56 +0200

Delightful:-)

When I read Netconf over SSH as saying

 'After the ssh-connection service is established, the client will open a
channel of type "session", which will result in an SSH session.  Once the SSH
session has been established, the user (or application) will invoke NETCONF as
an SSH subsystem called "netconf".

I took it to mean  a

4.9.5  Connection Protocol Subsystem Names

of  yet-to-be-defined 'netconf'

over an already defined

4.9.1  Connection Protocol Channel Types

of 'session'

I am unclear about the references to service names and Connection Protocol
Channel Request Name.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Lonvick" <[email-masked]>
To: "Margaret Wasserman" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>; "Andy Bierman"
<[email-masked]>; "netconf" <[email-masked]>; "Simon Leinen"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: Netconf over SSH