Subject: RE: comments on data types draft

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:30:13 -0400

hi

I meant that these have an application flavour as appose to: counter
versus gauge versus INTEGER versus Integer versus ...

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 8:41 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:5K50:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: comments on data types draft

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 08:29:14AM -0400, Sharon Chisholm wrote:

> - I think creating these type definitions is really important and this

> list seems to be at the correct level of abstraction, as appose to 100

> flavours of integers.

I am not sure I understand.

Introducing types for things that essentially are integers such as port 
numbers, vlan ids, interface numbers, AS numbers, diffserv code points, 
... is IMHO useful since these types usually come with specific
restrictions 
that without well defined types tend to be incompatible and the types
help to convey semantics to the reader if they are properly named. 
Perhaps you had something different in mind when you wrote "100 flavours

of integers". Perhaps you meant the many different number types already
present in the XML schema language. ;-)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen,
Germany

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:52:37 +0200

> versus gauge versus INTEGER versus Integer versus ...

Counter is BTW the most widely used data type, according to my analysis
of > 850 MIB modules which I published at the last IM conference. But
this probably does not mean much in the context of NetConf.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany