Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-chisholm-netconf-event-00.txt

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:57:00 -0400

hi

Here's the actual draft. This is a proposed solution to the need to do
asynchronous messaging in netconf. Andy suggested it would be good to
understand what the requirements in this space are.

Here are some big bullet items

1. MUST support different types of events 
	1.1 Large and Small messages
	1.2 Different types of information
2. Client (manager) MUST be able to specify which events are of interest
3. Client (manager) MUST be able to stop receiving events
4. Client (manger) MUST be able to process events as they come in
5. Server (network element) should not be blocked after sending out an
event
6. Events MUST work well for SSH
7. Events MUST work for Beep and SOAP

Sharon
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chisholm-netconf-event-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Netconf Event Messages
	Author(s)	: S. Chisholm, K. Curran
	Filename	: draft-chisholm-netconf-event-00.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2005-7-12
	
   This memo defines a framework for sending asynchronous messages, or
   event messages in Netconf.  It defines both the operations necessary
   to support this concept, and also discusses implications for the
   mapping to application protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chisholm-netconf-event-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chisholm-netconf-event-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chisholm-netconf-event-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:31:06 +0200

> 4. Client (manger) MUST be able to process events as they come in

Not sure what this really means.

> 5. Server (network element) should not be blocked after sending out an

I guess I know what you mean but the bullet point itself does not
really convey whay I guess you wanted to say.

> 7. Events MUST work for Beep and SOAP

You probably mean SOAP/HTTP. The difference between "MUST work" and 
"MUST work well" also remains somewhat unclear.

[And looking at the ID, I am not really clear how the SOAP/HTTP transport
 mapping (I continue to dislike the term "application protocol" in the
 NETCONF documents) is supposed to works - or my understanding of HTTP
 1.1 chunked transfers is wrong. But now I am discussing the ID and not
 the bullet points so this remark is off topic for this thread.]

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:36:03 -0700

>understand what the requirements in this space are.

Thanks Sharon.
I urge everybody in the WG to read this draft and send their questions
and comments to the WG mailing list.  But first let's agree on the
requirements bullet list (see below).

>	1.1 Large and Small messages

Why is this a different type of event?

>	1.2 Different types of information

Do you mean that there is a global event type field or something
more here?

>4. Client (manger) MUST be able to process events as they come in

This is an implementation detail.  NETCONF will only say events are 
delivered in
the order they are sent.  They may be queued by the sender or the receiver.

>5. Server (network element) should not be blocked after sending out an

See comment (4)

>7. Events MUST work for Beep and SOAP

I think 6 & 7 can be combined to
"Events MUST work well for all standard application mappings:"

Great list. 

I want the WG to agree on this list so it can go in the charter update.
Does anybody else want to add high-level requirements to this list?
(Not low-level, like all the different ways a manager might want to
specify which events of are interest -- save that for later.)

>Sharon

thanks,
Andy

>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>  
>