Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-netconf-prot-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: NETCONF Configuration Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Enns
	Filename	: draft-ietf-netconf-prot-07.txt
	Pages		: 96
	Date		: 2005-6-30
	
The NETCONF configuration protocol defined in this document provides
   mechanisms to install, manipulate, and delete the configuration of
   network devices.  It uses an Extensible Markup Language (XML) based
   data encoding for the configuration data as well as the protocol
   messages.  The NETCONF protocol operations are realized on top of a
   simple Remote Procedure Call (RPC) layer.

   Please send comments to [email-masked].  To subscribe, use
   [email-masked].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-netconf-prot-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-netconf-prot-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-netconf-prot-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Kenneth V. Crozier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:13:20 -0700

Hi,

I was thinking about the scalability of Netconf, i know we talked about 
this a long time ago. And i dont remember what the outcome of it was. 
The draft talks about netconf sessions being long lived, but that's 
about it.

What i'm concerned with is how many connections a NM station would have 
to maintain, and by this are we raising the bar for storage and 
processor requirements of the NM station. My immediate thoughts are that 
this would be a netconf over x issue and not something for the netconf 
protocol. Is, this something we should be talking about for a 2.0 phase 
of the WG

Sláinte
Ken

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:05:35 +0200

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:13:20AM -0700, Kenneth V. Crozier wrote:

> processor requirements of the NM station.

If I buy a machine for say 1.000 Euros and put Linux or BSD on it. What
do you think how many TCP connections I can maintain with such a box?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 06:27:11 +0200

> do you think how many TCP connections I can maintain with such a box?

Actually, I should have said ssh connections. BTW, this is not a 
terrible difficult experiment to do so I might even do this excercise
next week if anyone really cares about numbers.

/js