Subject: Update 1: NETCONF charter text proposal

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:31:51 -0800

Hi,

This is the updated text that will be sent to the ADs for approval:

thanks,
Andy and Simon

============================================================

NETCONF WG Charter Update proposal:

The original NETCONF WG charter contains the following line item,
describing the characteristics that the protocol should have:

  - Provides support for asynchronous notifications

This support was removed from the protocol for several reasons, including:

- Removal of multiple channels (or connections) per session
- Inconsistent notification support capabilities for each application 
mapping
- Lack of a configurable notification type selection (filtering) mechanism
- Lack of consensus on feature importance
- Lack of time to reach consensus on all these issues

Some time has passed, and there is now WG consensus to finish this
work item, however the single line in the original charter needs to
be expanded and this work scoped in much more detail.

The NETCONF Notification work shall consist of the following:

- Specify the <hello> message (capability exchange) details to
   support notifications.
- Specify the application mapping details to support notifications.
- Specify the protocol syntax and semantics of a notification message.
- Specify or select a notification content information model.
- Specify a mechanism for controlling the delivery (turn on/off)
  of notifications during a session.
- Specify a mechanism for selectively receiving a configurable subset of all
  possible notification types.

An individual submission Internet Draft has been proposed to the WG
as the starting point for this work.  Unless there are any strong
objections or alternate proposals, the WG shall adopt the document
identified as 'draft-chisholm-netconf-event-01.txt' as the starting
point for this work.

Goals and Milestones

 Dec 05   Update charter
 Jan 06   Submit first version of NETCONF Notifications document
 Sep 06   Begin WGLC of NETCONF Notifications document
 Dec 06   Submit final version of NETCONF Notifications document to IESG for
          consideration

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:00:07 +0100

> This is the updated text that will be sent to the ADs for approval:

Q: Is this a 'replace' or 'merge' operation on the charter?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany