Subject: updated NETCONF charter text (replace instead of merge this time)

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:37:41 -0800

Description of Working Group:
Wes Hardaker is Technical Advisor for Security Matters

Configuration of networks of devices has become a critical requirement
for operators in today's highly interoperable networks. Operators from
large to small have developed their own mechanisms or used vendor
specific mechanisms to transfer configuration data to and from a
device, and for examining device state information which may impact
the configuration. Each of these mechanisms may be different in various
aspects, such as session establishment, user authentication,
configuration data exchange, and error responses.

The Netconf Working Group is chartered to produce a protocol suitable
for network configuration, with the following characteristics:

  - Provides retrieval mechanisms which can differentiate between
    configuration data and non-configuration data
  - Is extensible enough that vendors will provide access to all
    configuration data on the device using a single protocol
  - Has a programmatic interface (avoids screen scraping and
    formatting-related changes between releases)
  - Uses a textual data representation, that can be easily
    manipulated using non-specialized text manipulation tools.
  - Supports integration with existing user authentication methods
  - Supports integration with existing configuration database systems
  - Supports network wide configuration transactions (with features
    such as locking and rollback capability)
  - Is as transport-independent as possible
  - Provides the following support for asynchronous notifications:
     - Specify the <hello> message (capability exchange) details to
       support notifications.
     - Specify the application mapping details to support notifications.
     - Specify the protocol syntax and semantics of a notification message.
     - Specify or select a notification content information model.
     - Specify a mechanism for controlling the delivery (turn on/off)
       of notifications during a session.
     - Specify a mechanism for selectively receiving a configurable 
subset of
       all possible notification types.

The Netconf protocol will use XML for data encoding purposes,
because XML is a widely deployed standard which is supported
by a large number of applications. XML also supports hierarchical data
structures.

The Netconf protocol should be independent of the data definition
language and data models used to describe configuration and state
data.

However, the authorization model used in the protocol is dependent on
the data model. Although these issues must be fully addressed to
develop standard data models, only a small part of this work will be
initially addressed. This group will specify requirements for standard
data models in order to fully support the Netconf protocol, such as:

  - identification of principals, such as user names or distinguished
    names
  - mechanism to distinguish configuration from non-configuration data
  - XML namespace conventions
  - XML usage guidelines

It should be possible to transport the Netconf protocol using several
different protocols. The group will select at least one suitable
transport mechanism, and define a mapping for the selected protocol(s).

The initial work will be restricted to the following items:

  - Netconf Protocol Specification, which defines the operational
    model, protocol operations, transaction model, data model
    requirements, security requirements, and transport layer
    requirements.

  - Netconf over <Transport-TBD> Specification, which defines how
    the Netconf protocol is used with the transport protocol
    selected by the group, and how it meets the security and
    transport layer requirements of the Netconf Protocol
    Specification.. There will be a document of this type for
    each selected transport protocol.

The working group will take the XMLCONF Configuration Protocol
<draft-enns-xmlconf-spec-00.txt> as a starting point.

Additional Notification work will be addressed after the initial work
is completed.

An individual submission Internet Draft has been proposed to the WG
as the starting point for the Notification work.  The WG shall adopt the
document identified as 'draft-chisholm-netconf-event-01.txt' as the
starting point for this work.

Goals and Milestones:
Done    Working Group formed  
Done    Submit initial Netconf Protocol draft  
Done    Submit initial Netconf over (transport-TBD) draft  
Done    Begin Working Group Last Call for the Netconf Protocol draft  
Done    Begin Working Group Last Call for the Netconf over 
(transport-TBD) draft  
Done    Submit final version of the Netconf Protocol draft to the IESG  
Done    Submit final version of the Netconf over SOAP draft to the IESG  
Done    Submit final version of the Netconf over BEEP draft to the IESG  
Done    Submit final version of the Netconf over SSH draft to the IESG  
Dec 05   Update charter
Jan 06   Submit first version of NETCONF Notifications document
Sep 06   Begin WGLC of NETCONF Notifications document
Dec 06   Submit final version of NETCONF Notifications document to IESG for
              consideration

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Balazs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:44:57 +0100

Hello Andy,
I believe that a granular locking mechanism should be included in the second phase.
Balazs

Andy Bierman wrote:
> Done    Working Group formed  Done    Submit initial Netconf Protocol 
> draft  Done    Submit initial Netconf over (transport-TBD) draft  
> (transport-TBD) draft  Done    Submit final version of the Netconf 
> Protocol draft to the IESG  Done    Submit final version of the Netconf 
> over SOAP draft to the IESG  Done    Submit final version of the Netconf 
> over BEEP draft to the IESG  Done    Submit final version of the Netconf 
> over SSH draft to the IESG  Dec 05   Update charter

-- 
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
TSP System Manager & AXD Operational Suite (AOS) OPM
ECN: 831 7320                        Fax: +36 1 4377792
Tel: +36-1-437-7320     email: [email-masked]