Subject: RE: IANA considerations update for NETCONF protocol draft

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:42:06 +0100

> 10.4.  NETCONF Enterprise Capability URNs
> 
>    This document requests that IANA create a registry for allocating
>    NETCONF capability identifiers to enterprises.  Allocation from the
>    registry is on a First Come First Served basis, but a specification
>    is required in the form of Appendix C of this document.
> 
>    Following the guidelines in RFC 3553 [7], IANA is requested to assign
>    a NETCONF sub-namespace as follows:
> 
>    Registry name: netconf-enterprise
> 
>    Specification: To be provided by the registrant.  The specification
>    document must conform to Appendix C of this document.
> 

But appendix C now states:

   C.1.3.  Capability Identifier

   The {name} is identified by following capability string:

      urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:capability:{name}:1.0

Which to me seems to apply be in sync with sect 10.3
for sect 10.4, it probably should be:

      urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf-enterprise:capability:{name}:1.0

But even then, how do you avoid conflicts between multiple enterprises,
and how do you you which capability is from which enterprise?

Bert

>    Repository: IANA is requested to store the submitted specifications
>    in a public location such as
>    http://www.iana.org/assignments/netconf/capabilities.html.
> 
>    Index value: The capability name.
> 

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:09:52 -0500

>and how do you you which capability is from which enterprise?

The normal rules for XML namespaces should be used, where an URL
starts with an identifying domain name:

<hello>
  <capabilities>
    <capability>urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0</capability>
    <capability>urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:capability:candidate:1.0</capability>
    <capability>urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:capability:confirmed-commit:1.0</capability>
    <capability>urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:capability:validate:1.0</capability>
    <capability>urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:capability:url:1.0?protocol=http,ftp,file</capability>
    <capability>http://xml.juniper.net/netconf/junos/1.0</capability>
  </capabilities>
  <session-id>36908</session-id>
</hello>

Thanks,
 Phil