Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using the Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) Over the Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:29:24 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Using the Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) Over the Simple Object 
   Access Protocol (SOAP) '
   <draft-ietf-netconf-soap-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Configuration Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-netconf-soap-08.txt

Technical Summary
 
   The Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) is applicable to a wide
   range of devices in a variety of environments.  The emergence of Web
   Services gives one such environment, and is presently characterized
   by the use of the Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP).  NETCONF
   finds many benefits in this environment: from the re-use of existing
   standards, to ease of software development, to integration with
   deployed systems.  Herein, we describe SOAP over HTTP and SOAP over
   BEEP bindings for NETCONF.

Working Group Summary
 
   The NETCONF Working Group has consensus to publish this document
   as a Proposed Standard.  

Protocol Quality

   It is likely that there are several implementations of this
   document in various stages of completion at this time.
   Several major equipment vendors have indicated interest in
   supporting this document, and some non-commercial
   implementations are also expected.
   Bert Wijnen reviewed this document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor

In the IAN Considerations section, please change:
 
OLD:

   The IANA is requested to assign TCP ports for NETCONF for SOAP over
   HTTP and SOAP over BEEP.

NEW:

   The IANA is requested to assign a TCP port for NETCONF over SOAP over
   BEEP, and a TCP port for NETCONF over SOAP over HTTPS.

IANA Note

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Bierman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 14:58
To: Bert Wijnen
Cc: [email-masked]; Sam Hartman (E-mail)
Subject: Port requests for draft-ietf-netconf-soap-08.txt

Hi,

Please assign a port number < 1024 for the NETCONF
protocol over the Simple Object Access protocol,
run over the Blocks Extensible Exchange protocol
(netconf-soap-beep). 

Please assign a port number < 1024 for the NETCONF
protocol over the Simple Object Access protocol,
run over the HTTPS protocol (netconf-soap-https). 

There will be an RFC Editor note added to this
document to replace the first sentence of section 5.

OLD:

   The IANA is requested to assign TCP ports for NETCONF for SOAP over
   HTTP and SOAP over BEEP.

NEW:

   The IANA is requested to assign a TCP port for NETCONF over SOAP over
   BEEP, and a TCP port for NETCONF over SOAP over HTTPS.

thanks,
Andy

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>