Subject: unknown-namespace

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:39:57 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

The description for the <error-tag> unknown-namespace says:

   Tag:         unknown-namespace
   Error-type:  rpc, protocol, application
   Severity:    error
   Error-info:  Name of the unexpected namespace
   Description: An unexpected namespace is present

The Error-info text seems to be wrong.  <error-info> can't just be the
name of the unexpected namespace.  For the other errors, the
Error-info text specifies which element within the <error-info> should
be present.

Was the intention to have a similar subelement of <error-info>,
e.g. <bad-namespace>?  Even so, maybe <bad-element> should be
populated with the name of the element where the unknown-namespace was
introduced.

Or was the intention that the error info would be (which the text
seems to indicate):

   <error-info>urn:my:bad:namespace</error-info>

/martin

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:30:48 -0800

>    <error-info>urn:my:bad:namespace</error-info>

You are right (again).
I discussed this with Rob.
It was always the intent that <error-info> be a container.
If we define standard error-info content that is a simpleType
instead of complexType, then the agent cannot send other
error-info sub-elements without using mixed content.
We definitely want to avoid that.

We are going to change the definition of the 'unknown-namespace'
error in Appendix A to define a 'bad-namespace' sub-element,
instead of the simple string content that the description clause
now suggests.

This will make is possible to identify the element with the unknown 
namespace
as you suggest:

<error-info>
  <bad-namespace>foo</bad-namespace>
  <bad-element>bar</bad-element>
</error-info>

This matches the bad-namespace/bad-attribute approach the
rest of NETCONF uses.

> /martin

Andy