Subject: Character encoding for Netconf messages?

From: "Kent Watsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:46:46 -0700

The Netconf spec does not require XML declarations (i.e. <?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>).  However, both the SSH and SOAP
mapping specs show the use of XML declarations; though the BEEP mapping
spec does not...  

Should NetConf specify a mandatory encoding (e.g. USASCII) or leave it
up to implementations to decide?   If it is up to the implementations to
decide, then would that require the client to defer sending its <hello>
until after receiving the server's <hello> in order to determine the
encoding to use?

Would it make sense for the <hello> to be USASCII and to list all
supported encodings as capabilities? - this seems flexible but then the
NetConf spec would need to require an XML declaration on every message

Thanks!

Kent

--

Kent Watsen

Software Architect

Juniper Networks

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:43:00 -0700

Hi -

If we specify a mandatory-to-implement encoding, I'd strongly suggest
that it be UTF-8.

Randy

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kent Watsen" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:46 PM
Subject: Character encoding for Netconf messages?

Thanks!

Kent

--

Kent Watsen

Software Architect

Juniper Networks

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:56:00 -0700

> If we specify a mandatory-to-implement encoding, I'd strongly suggest

Excellent topic for a VERY TBD WG work item!!!  :-)

(I agree with you, but I'm coding for internationalization.)

That's not an easy decision, or one that should be made
as part of some ad-hoc design process.

> Randy

Andy