Subject: FW: [XCON] XCON Data Model

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:58:44 +0300

I apologize for the possible cross-posting, but I believe that some
folks on xml-dir and Netconf WG lists would be interested in seeing
this. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Roach [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 7:57 PM
To: XCON-IETF
Subject: [XCON] XCON Data Model

At the Dallas IETF meeting (IETF 65), the chairs called for a team of
editors to work during the following several months to produce a set of
protocol operations (semantics, not syntax) that can be used to
manipulate conference state. During the course of the discussions, it
became clear that the apparent consensus on the data model within the
working group was more illusory than rough. Unable to build the
operations on a shifting foundation, we disbanded the operations
document editor team to focus our efforts on the data model.

On June 21st, the chairs sent out a call for participants for an editing
session to work on the data model to be held on Sunday, July 9th. 
Participants in the session are listed at the end of this message.

As a result of this editing session, Oscar Novo (the editor of the data
model document) will be producing and publishing a new version of the
data model document shortly.

In attempting to solve some of the difficulties that we have had with
the data model, the participants of this editing session concluded that
a preponderance of the issues resulted from the division of the template
portion of conference state from the fixed portion of conference state.

To address this issue, the team produced text and examples that
incorporate the controls associated with audio streams directly into
what was previously called the "fixed part" of the conference. Other
information relating to the conference (e.g. moderator controls on
streams that affect all participants' audio) are moved into appropriate
other locations (in the example given above, into the <available-media/>
section).

Additional controls required by the conference server can be added to
the document in the same way that PIDF presence documents can be
extended.

So, for example, under <users>/<user>/<endpoint>, the document for a
user participating in an audio/video conference might look something
like this (with some of the elements that aren't interesting for this
example elided):

<endpoint>
  <media>
    <type>audio</type>
    <display-type/>
    <label/>
    <src-id/>
    <status/>
    <to-mixer name="AudioIn">
      <floor name="main" floor_id="1" instances="1" enable="true"
         value="false">
      </floor>   
        <controls>
          <control type ="boolean" name="mute" enable="true">
            <display-text xml:lang="en">Mute-Audio</display-text>
            <value>True</value>
          </control>
        </controls>
    </to-mixer>
    <from-mixer name="AudioOut">
      <controls>
        <control type="signed-char" name="gain" enable="true" >
          <display-text xml:lang="en">Volume</label>
          <value>0</value>
        </control>
      </from-mixer>
    </controls>
  </media>

  <media>
    <type>video</type> (from SIP conferencing event package)
    <display-type/> (from SIP conferencing event package)
    <label/> (from SIP conferencing event package)
    <src-id/> (from SIP conferencing event package)
    <status/> (from SIP conferencing event package)
    <to-mixer name="VideoIn">
      <floor name="main" floor_id="1" instances="1" enable="true"
         value="false">
      </floor>   
        <controls>
          <control type="boolean" name="blank" enable="true">
            <display-text xml:lang="en">Mute Video</display-text>
            <value>True</value>
          </control>
        </controls>
    </to-mixer>
    <from-mixer name="VideoOut">
      <controls>
        <control name="layout" type="enum" enable="false">
          <display-text xml:lang="en">Video Layout</label>
          <value>quadrate</value>
        </control>
      </controls>
    </from-mixer>
  </media>
</endpoint>

Similarly, controls that apply at a different level than endpoint/stream
would appear at an appropriate place in the document. So, moderator
controls that affect all media output would go under
<conference-description>/<available-media>, and look something like:

<available-media>
  <entry label="23985u7t6">
    <type>audio</type>
    <display-text/>
    <status/>
    <mixing-mode/>
    <mix-level>
    <codecs>
      <entry/>
    </codecs>
    <controls>
      <control name="mute" type="boolean" enable="false">
        <display-text xml:lang="en">Mute All Audio</label>
        <value>False</value>
      </control>
    </controls>
  </entry>
  <entry label="90gj2094">
    <type>video</type>
    <display-text/>
    <status/>
    <mixing-mode/>
    <mix-level>
    <codecs>
      <entry/>
    </codecs>
    <controls>
      <control name="layout" type="enum" enable="false">
        <display-text xml:lang="en">Video Layout</label>
        <value>quadrate</value>
      </control>
    </controls>
  </entry>
</available-media>

We would like to have feedback on this approach before we invest too
much time finalizing the approach in the data model draft. If time
allows, please discuss on this list prior to the meeting on Thursday. We
will, of course, visit these issues in the meeting on Thursday.

/a

---
The team that met consisted of the following participants:

Oscar Novo
Roni Even
Alan Johnston
Rohan Mahy
Cullen Jennings
Mary Barnes
Gonzalo Camarillo
Srivatsa Srinivasan

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>