Subject: Netconf Goes On

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 03:45:02 +0200

I witnessed today a milestone. One of the WGs in the area is considering
seriously using Netconf for configuration operations. This is a sign
that the outer world starts to take this work seriously. 

Of course, not all documents are really out, but we are almost done with
the core documents, and the notification work has made significant
progress during this meeting. The WG and the chairs deserve
congratulations. 

We are almost done with the first phase of Netconf. While focusing
efforts on completing the chartered items and writing the first
generation of applications, we can afford now discussing 'what next'.
Certainly, we have the big question of data models and data modeling
language to answer, but I believe that there are also many extensions,
applications, implementation and deployment experience and applicability
statements that we should start discussing. 

In the next few days you will see an announcement about the creation of
a [email-masked] (netconf goes on) mail list. I invite all interested
parties interested in working on the next phase of Netconf to subscribe
and participate in discussions on that list, leaving
[email-masked] focus on finishing the current charter and
discussing core protocol issues. If until Prague we gather enough new
proposals for a ngo BOF, the ADs will consider favorably a request to
organize such a BOF. 

Dan

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>