Subject: comments on draft-ietf-netconf-notification-06.txt

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:49:18 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Here are my comments on draft-ietf-netconf-notification-06.txt.

  o  3.2.5.1

    Uses the URI "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netmod:base:1.0" for event
    streams in the example.  But the schema in 3.3 uses
    "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netmod:event:1.0".  These should be the
    same.

    I suggest that this info is put into the
    "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:notification:1.0" schema.

  o  3.3  /namedProfiles/namedProfile/name

    xs:key is not used for namedProfile/name. If it's not unique or a
    key, then there can be several namedProfiles with the same name.
    I suspect this is not the intention.  The text in 3.2.5.1 says
    that the value is unique.  Maybe that is sufficient.

    It also says about 'name' that it is modifiable.  How is this
    supposed to be done over NETCONF?  (how do you modifify the key?
    or even worse if it's not a key).

  o  3.3  /namedProfiles/namedProfile/stream

    Why is this element included here?  A stream is always specified in
    the <create-subscription> (or defaults to NETCONF) when a
    namedProfile is used.  Are these supposed to match??

  o  3.3  /namedProfiles/namedProfile/filter

    This element has a minOccurs="0".  It means that the element may
    or may not be present in an instance document.  Why is it used
    here?

  o  5.1
 
    The text shows a sample event list which doesn't match the
    examples that follows.

    I also don't understand the <events> container.  I suggest that
    the <events> container is removed, and <eventEntry> is changed to
    <event> in this list.  The second example must also be modified to
    match this.

  o  5.1 and 5.2

    All four examples use an undeclared prefix "netconf" on the
    element 'filter' (it shouldn't be there; 'filter' is defined in
    the new namespace), and <create-subscription> lacks a xmlns
    attribute.

    Both xpath examples use the element name 'eventClasses' but the
    text and other examples use 'eventClass'.

  o  6.1

    Section 2.1.1 says that an <ok/> element is returned for a
    <create-subscription> if the request can be satisfied.

    This section (6.1) says 

       "If a client requests a replay of notifications that predate
       the oldest notification available, then the NETCONF server must
       return a warning message in the RPC reply and start replaying
       the notifications it does have available"

    But, according to 4.4 of rfc4741, 

       "The <ok> element is sent in <rpc-reply> messages if no errors
       or warnings occurred during the processing of an <rpc>
       request."

    This is also consistent with the XML schema in rfc4741.

    Thus, it is not possible to return <ok/> and a warning.

    I suppose the intention of 6.1 is that a warning only (i.e no
    <ok/> element) is returned.  The text in 2.1.1 should be updated
    to reflect this.

  o  6.2

    This section lists additional "Negative Response" to
    <create-subscription>.  I think these should be moved to 2.1.1,
    where <create-subscription> is defined.

    Also, two new error-tags are defined.  If I understand the schema
    in rfc4741 correctly, it is not possible to define new
    error-tags.  An error-app-tag can be used though.

    Also, I don't think start-stop-time-mismatch is needed - the
    standard 'invalid-value' can be used.

  o  6.3

    I think that the replayCompleteNotifcation should be defined in
    the "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:notification:1.0" schema.
    I.e. use a single schema (instead of three) for everything.

  Other Minor issues:

  o  1.2  

       "A capability may be advertised to announce that a server is
       able to process RPCs while a notification stream is active on a
       session."

    Should this text really be here?  There is no such capability
    defined.

  o  2.1.1 

       "until the subscription to terminates."
                               ^^^ ??

  o  3.2.5.2

    This section (including 3.2.5.2.1) seems to be redundant.
    Compare with 2.1.1.

  o  3.3

    The schema uses xs:import to import a namespace which isn't used
    (1998/namespace), and two imports with a bad (?) schemaLocation.

    The prefix ncEvent is defined but not used.

    The documentation for namedProfile:

        "A named profile, which is a saved set of parameters
        associated that may be associated with zero or more active
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ??
        subscriptions."

  o  3.3

    You're using two top-level elements in this schema.  This means
    that you can't create a single standalone XML instance document
    which lists the eventStreams and namedProfiles (since an XML
    document must have a single top-level element).  This isn't an
    error per se, but I thought I should mention it.

  o  3.5

       "Note that when multiple filters are specified,"

    Multiple filters cannot be defined anymore, right?

  o  4
     
    The xs:import in this schema seems to be copy-and-pasted from
    thee netconf schema.  It is not needed here.

/martin

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:11:11 +0100 (CET)

I forgot one comment.

In 6.2, about the warning message, it says 

         Error-info: <log-startime> : Timestamp of earliest event
         available for replay

This element (log-starttime) should be defined in the schema.  Also,
the short description could be clarified.  What exactly does
"available for replay" mean?  Does it mean available using the filters
and access rules currently in effect?  I assume it does not, since if
it did, the warning would be pretty useless - the same info will be
included in the first event replayed.

/martin