Subject: FW: [XCON] WG Issues with XML Schema

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:35:13 +0200

If anybody cares to contribute to this discussion in the XCON WG. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Cordell [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [XCON] WG Issues with XML Schema

I hope this isn't a mis-use of this list, but.....

As you may know, W3C XML Schema is in the process of being extended to
version 1.1.  I know that XCON started out using XML Schema, but has
since moved more towards Relax-NG.

I'm hoping that those making that change of direction will share with me
their motivation for making that decision.  My intention would be, if
appropriate, to share any gathered opinions with the XSD 1.1 working
group (probably in some summarized form).  (BTW - Just to be clear, I'm
not on the
WG.)

For example, is XML schema just too difficult to learn?  Is the
versioning and extensibility of elements, attributes and enumerations
too restricted? 
Were there constraints on your syntax that you couldn't (readily)
express using schema?  What else?

My motivation for doing this is that I feel that the usage scenarios for
XCON, SIP and other similar IETF style protocols are very different from
the sorts of use-cases that the majority of the W3C members are familiar
with, and hence the requirements are under represented.  There's a
chance that by giving me feedback, XSD 1.1 will do a better job of
meeting the needs of working groups in the IETF.

I'm interested to hearing from anybody involved in schema work, whether
it be in XCON, SIP, SIPPING, AVT, some other IETF group, or for private
purposes.  However, I'm only posting this message to the XCON list in
the hope this will capture most of the feedback (the membership of the
previously mentioned groups is probably much the same anyway).

Depending on what you think is appropriate, you can either reply to the
list, or direct to me.

Many, many thanks for you help in trying to make XSD 1.1. better!

Pete.
--
=============================================
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd
for XML to C++ data binding visit
http://www.tech-know-ware.com/lmx/
http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/
=============================================

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>