Subject: Notification Decision Point: Named Profiles

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:18:45 -0700

Hi,

Let's see if we can reach some decisions on named profiles on the 
mailing list.
They were originally added as a way for sessions to store and share static
filters on the agent, instead of passing the filter directly in the
<create-subscription>  RPC.
 
The use of the 'any' data type is problematic for <edit-config>, and there
is not consensus on any deterministic algorithm for processing this
operation on a data node like this, such as <filter>.  Two people
have strongly objected to usage of the 'any' data type at all
in NETCONF data models.

Top Level Options:

  * Keep Named Profiles in this document and fix the problems
  * Defer named profiles until data modeling issues with <any> resolved
  * Remove named profiles from this document

If decision is to keep named profiles:

Clear Consensus:
 * add a <key> definition identifying 'name' as the index

Proposed Consensus:
 * remove no-op 'stream' element
 * declare the <edit-config> operation on the contents of the <filter>
   parameter to be 'undefined'

Comments?

thanks,
Andy

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>