Subject: filtering problem

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:50:43 -0700

Hi,

There is another problem with filtering and the examples in sec 5: (!!!)

The draft must say exactly where in the <notification> element
that the <filter> is applied.  The current text does not say anything.

All the examples in sec. 5 are broken because the 'notification type'
layer is missing.  The examples assume the filters can only be
applied to a conceptual datastore, just like the <rpc> filter.

However, the most commonly needed filter is going to be
on the notification type itself!

Example (w/o namespaces):

   <notification>
     <configChange>
        <configChangeTime>date-time string...</configChangeTime>
        <configChangedBy>[email-masked]</configChangedBy>
        <configTarget>/interfaces/interface[name='eth0']</configTarget>
         ...
     </configChange>
   </notification>

For simplicity, assume the manager just wants
this one notification type. The filter is going to be something like:

  <filter type="subtree">
    <configChange/>
  </filter>

A filter for configChange just on a specific configTarget might be:

  <filter type="subtree">
    <configChange>
      <configTarget>/interfaces/interface[name='eth0']</configTarget>
    </configChange>
  </filter>

The way the draft is now does not reflect how notifications are
actually structured.

Andy

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>