Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementation-03.txt

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:30:46 +0200

This I-D brings important deployment information. It needs some more
work, for example to decide what to do with Section 4, but it may be
worth considering its publication as Informational RFC. What are the
authors intentions with this work? We can use the process described in
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/ions/ion-ad-sponsoring.html. Other
opinions? 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 7:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementation-03.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Experience of implementing NETCONF over SOAP
	Author(s)	: I. Tomoyuki, et al.
	Filename	:
draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementation-03.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2007-10-19
	
NETCONF protocol is standardized to be exchanged over SSH, SOAP, or
   BEEP.  We developed a network management system based on NETCONF
   protocol.  For several reasons, we chose the SOAP protocol as a
   transport protocol of NETCONF.  This document describes why we chose
   SOAP as a transport protocol and the insight gained from actual
   development.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementa
tion-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementation-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementation-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Tomoyuki Iijima <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:29:09 +0900

Hi,

I'm writing this document.
I was thinking about hearing your opinion at the next IETF meeting about
how we should go on with this document. We'd like to make a
contributution to the NETCONF by making this work adopted as an
informational RFC. And when Mr. Okita, co-author of this document,
presented this I-D at the Chicago meeting, I felt that Andy made a
supporting comment.

So, we'd appreciate if this document could be "AD-Sponsored". Of course,
I know more volume, especially in section 4, is necessary.

-- 
Tomoyuki Iijima
Hitachi, Ltd. Central Research Laboratory
TEL:+81-42-323-1111 ext.3579
FAX:+81-42-327-7868
E-mail:[email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:08:00 +0200

I would indeed encourage you to continue the work on this document, and
to present it at the Vancouver meeting. When you feel it is ready and
complete for submission I will be glad to sponsor it as AD in order to
make it an Informational RFC. 

Dan

> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tomoyuki Iijima
> Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 10:29 AM
> To: Netconf WG
> Subject: Re: FW: I-D 
> ACTION:draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementation-03.txt
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I was thinking about hearing your opinion at the next IETF 
> meeting about how we should go on with this document. We'd 
> like to make a contributution to the NETCONF by making this 
> work adopted as an informational RFC. And when Mr. Okita, 
> co-author of this document, presented this I-D at the Chicago 
> meeting, I felt that Andy made a supporting comment.
> 
> So, we'd appreciate if this document could be "AD-Sponsored". 
> Of course, I know more volume, especially in section 4, is necessary.
> 
> > You can also visit 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
> > logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then "get 
> > draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementation-03.txt".
> > 
> > http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or 
> > ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
> > 
> > 	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant 
> mail readers

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:44:32 +0200

> make it an Informational RFC. 

Stupid question: Did you do any interoperability testing of your
NETCONF over SOAP implementation?

What NETCONF really needs are I think interoperability tests and test
cases and such things. This would really help to ensure NETCONF
engines do the same thing and the specs lead implementors to the same
conclusions. And we need to find a way to deal with those things
implementors found either not well described or more complex than it
needs to be.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Tomoyuki Iijima <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:13:24 +0900

Hi,

>> I would indeed encourage you to continue the work on this document,
>> complete for submission I will be glad to sponsor it as AD in order

Thank you for encouraging us!
We'll complete the work as soon as we can and be ready to present it.

> NETCONF over SOAP implementation?

Regretably, not yet.
Personally, I think interoperability will be ensured since we are using
 WSDL of the RFC4743 and XSD of RFC4741. Anyway, I'd like to touch upon
the issue of interoperability.

Kind regards,

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:16:53 +0200

> the issue of interoperability.

NETCONF interoperability means much more than being able to parse
messages; just consider the filtering, multiple data stores, the
various things edit-config can do and so on. This goes far beyond what
WSDL and XSD can do for you.

/js