Subject: additional comments about draft-ietf-netconf-tls-00.txt

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:14:35 +0100

Dear all,

Can someone please explain to me how NETCONF/TLS could be used in 
combination with existing user authentication databases on NETCONF 
servers (e.g., the agents)?

Thanks,

Eliot

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>

---

From: Mohamad Badra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:52:51 +0100

> servers (e.g., the agents)?

Before answer your question, I will appreciate if you could kindly tell 
me how HTTP/TLS, "LDAP protocol over TLS/SSL", FTP/TLS and other 
protocols do that?

Best regards,
-- 
Mohamad Badra
CNRS - LIMOS Laboratory

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:34:53 +0100

Mohamad Badra wrote:
> Before answer your question, I will appreciate if you could kindly 
> tell me how HTTP/TLS, "LDAP protocol over TLS/SSL", FTP/TLS and other 
> protocols do that?
>
> Best regards,

HTTP/TLS uses HTTP AUTH to accomplish this task.  I don't know much 
about LDAP, but I suspect there's a SASL or SASL-like transaction 
somewhere in there.  FTP uses the same username/password approaches that 
existed before TLS.  My point: there is no such underlying mechanism in 
NETCONF.

Eliot

---

From: Badra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:55:00 +0100

> existed before TLS.  My point: there is no such underlying mechanism in

This is not directly specified in the document since it relies on
Requirements for Management Interfaces specified in rfc4279. However, if you
think it should be clarified, please suggest some text!

Best regards,
-- 
Badra