Subject: [Netconf] FW: Netconf Notification: Issues 8 & 18: DateTime

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:12:18 -0400

Hi

This is one of the discuss topics on the notification draft. This will
potentially result in two changes
  - Additional reference (to point to specifications that indicate how
dateTime provides sufficient precision)
  - Adding a statement, if the working group agrees, that makes
supporting time zone mandatory.

Sharon 

-----Original Message-----
From: Chisholm, Sharon (CAR:ZZ00)
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:25 PM
To: 'Chris Newman'; [email-masked]'
Cc: 'Hector Trevino (htrevino)'; 'Bert Wijnen - IETF'; 'Ersue, Mehmet
(NSN - DE/Muenich)'; 'Dan Romascanu'
Subject: Netconf Notification: Issues 8 & 18: DateTime

Please reply to this email either indicating that you consider this
issue resolved or by providing additional feedback as to why the
response is not sufficient.

18. Discuss: dateTime (David Ward)
[2008-03-26] ** All of the time references are in "type dateTime" which
is XMLschema speak is "YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss" (although there is no
reference).

Given the output of config events from networking nodes can happen at an
incredible rate, why is it felt that seconds are a satisfactory
granularity? Most vendors are in fact already implementing event down to
the ms. This is critical for fault messages. It is impossible to
understand what is happening on a network node with the granularity of
seconds.

8. dateTime (Chris Newman)

The dateTime XML schema data type makes the timezone optional, in which
case time stamps are ambiguous and non-interoperable.  This document
needs to explicitly require that timezones be present in order to
interoperate.  I observe that dateTime does permit arbitrary fractions
of a second so I do not agree with Dave Ward's DISCUSS on the accuracy
issue, however he's right that a normative reference to XML schema data
types is necessary to clarify this and should be referenced when the
"dateTime" data type is first mentioned.  RFC 3339 discusses these
issues in more detail.

There is no restriction as to the number of decimal digits. We'll add a
reference to XML XL documentation and to RFC 3339. 
 
FROM ISO 8601
If necessary for a particular application a decimal fraction of hour,
minute or second may be included. If a decimal fraction is included,
lower order time elements (if any) shall be omitted and the decimal
fraction shall be divided from the integer part by the decimal sign
specified in ISO 31-0, i.e. the comma [,] or full stop [.]. Of these,
the comma is the preferred sign. If the magnitude of the number is less
than unity, the decimal sign shall be preceded by two zeros in
accordance with 3.6.
The interchange parties, dependent upon the application, shall agree the
number of digits in the decimal fraction. The format shall be
[hhmmss,ss], [hhmm,mm] or [hh,hh] as appropriate (hour minute second,
hour minute, and hour, respectively), with as many digits as necessary
following the decimal sign. A decimal fraction shall have at least one
digit. In the examples below it has been agreed to give the smallest
time element a decimal fraction with one digit.

As for the timezone issue, I know in the past we have discussed whether
or not you could mandate use of timezones. At the time it was felt there
were machines that would be unable to support this feature. Keep in mind
that this solution needs to work on smaller, lower-end boxes as well as
fancy ones. Adding text mandating use of timezones would need to be
approved by the working group. Assuming the working group agrees, I have
no problem adding this text.

Sharon Chisholm
Nortel
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf