Subject: [Netconf] Summary of the NETCONF WG Session in IETF 71 and Action Items

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Muenich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:36:02 +0200

Dear NETCONF WG,

after having sent out the preliminary minutes we need to 
confirm a few results of the NETCONF session. Below is a 
summary. We'll send out separate mails for important topics
for confirmation.

=> Authors of WG items: 
Please prepare a new version of your document.

=> WG members: 
Please review updated documents and trigger a 
discussion promptly.

( *) indicates that a separate confirmation mail will be sent out)

A) Ongoing or planned implementations for the chartered items:

*) (Planned) Implementations of Partial Lock (3 hands):
Martin B, Balazs?, Sharon

*) (Planned) Implementations of NETCONF Monitoring (4 hands):
Martin B, Andy, Sharon, Mark

*) (Planned) Implementations of NETCONF over TLS:
No one in the audience was planning to implement.
After the meeting Mohamad Badra stated that he is 
implementing.

<Note of the chairs>
We need 2 implementations to be able to get it to draft 
standard status. We think that even for a proposed standard, 
it makes no sense if only one single person is planning to 
implement. A standards track document should be implemented 
by many (at least 2, but preferably many more). 

Therefor the chairs have the opinion that it does not 
make sense to standardize the document if there is no 
other interested party to implement. 
So, please respond to the parallel mail if there is anybody 
implementing or planning to implement.
</Note>

TLS draft issues and AIs:
There were a few issues discussed in the session. Since Badra 
was not there we couldn't asnwer all and got some action 
items.
Chairs note: This topic is on hold till we have an answer on
how many implementations are planned for NETCONF over TLS. 

*) (Planned) Implementations of the Notification draft (4 hands):
Martin B, Sharon (2?), Mark

B) Interoperability event:

In the NETCONF session we asked whether anybody is 
interested in an interoperability event for chartered 
documents or on the published RFCs or both. An 
additional goal would be to prepare a test report 
to shift NETCONF RFCs to the draft standard status. 

There was nobody in the WG session interested in an 
interoperability event.

=> If anybody is interested in an interoperability 
    event for chartered documents or on the 
    published RFCs please bring it up on the list.

C) Potential documents for non-chartered topics:

*) Access Control:
Andy Bierman and David Harrington in the session and 
Kaushik Narayan after the session showed interest to 
work on Access Control. 

*) Netconf content:
There was interest to prepare I-D's for NETCONF 
Content for CONFIGURATION (and/or NETCONF related) 
events and also NETCONF Content for SNMP or SYSLOG 
notifications. 

D) Other discussion which needs to be brought to the 
NETCONF list:

=> Wes Hardaker: 
Please post your questions on:
- what happens if you copy candidate to running 
  while a partial lock is held? 
- need a matrix that covers the various operations 
  and their interaction
Please also post any other questions that we may 
have missed above.

E) SOAP implementation presentation 

=> Folks who volunteer to read and comment to 
    improve the quality please send your comments 
    to Dan Romascanu and copy the NETCONF maillist.

Thank you for your support.

Bert & Mehmet

_______________________________________________
Netconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf