Subject: Re: [Netconf] Consensus verification WAS:RE: AD reviewfordraft-ietf-netconf-tls-06.txt

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:10:35 +0100

Dear WG members,

we the WG chairs think that: 
 
- the EOM issue is NOT specific to Netconf over TLS
- a security thread based on the EOM issue can only be solved 
  sufficiently if it's done in conjunction with access control
- Netconf WG may want to investigate a complete solution for
  message intregrity (and access control) after re-chartering and 
  see how we can address the problem
- we don't think we need to elaborate on issues of any missing 
  access control in the base protocol. That is in our view NOT part 
  of Netconf over TLS but rather a pure NETCONF protocol issue.
 
As a result, we propose NOT to try to solve any EOM issues 
beyond the introduced delimiter sequence and corresponding 
security considerations in the NETCONF over TLS document.

We further recommend to let this document go to RFC and get 
published, so that people can start to implement against a stable 
specification.

The text proposals of Badra in the parallel mail now hopefully 
address the issue Dan indicated and other concerns stated until 
now.

Since the IETF LC ends today please check again the two text 
blocks provided by Badra for approval and speak up if you have 
any objections by 5pm ET Feb 20.

We will bring then an updated version of the draft to the next 
step.

Thank you all for going through the (sometimes painful) steps 
of RFC development.
 
Bert & Mehmet