Subject: [Netconf] 4741bis - error-type

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:59:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

The error-type is defined as:

   error-type: Defines the conceptual layer that the error occurred.

But the error-type values do not match the names of the conceptual
layers in the picture in 1.1.

   error-type         layer
   ----------         -----
   transport          transport protocol
   rpc                rpc
   protocol           operations
   application        content

Proposal:  add this clarification.

This means that if the error-type is 'rpc', the error happened in the
"rpc" layer, i.e. in the <rpc> element in the XML.

The error list in Appendix A lists the error 'unknown-element', which
can have error-type 'rpc' according to its specification.   But what
kind of XML would generate such an error in an rpc-reply?  If the
<rpc> element was received, any subelements are on the
protocol/operations layer.  If some element except for <rpc> is
received, an <rpc-reply> cannot be generated.

The same question applies to the errors 'unknown-namespace',
'operation-not-supported' and 'operation-failed', and maybe
'access-denied'.

Comments?

/martin

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:20:47 -0700

> layers in the picture in 1.1.

Not sure what OLD and NEW text is being proposed.
There are errors that can occur while processing
the <rpc> element, such as resource-denied.

> /martin

Andy