Subject: [Netconf] 4741bis - error-path

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:01:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

The <error-path> element is defined as

      Contains the absolute XPath [2] expression identifying
      the element path to the node that is associated with the error
      being reported in a particular rpc-error element.  This element
      will not be present if no appropriate payload element can be
      associated with a particular error condition, [...]

It is not clear what the root node is in this XPath expression, but
from the text above which talks about "payload", it seems the root
node must be /rpc.

But this means that an operation like this:

  <rpc xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0
       message-id="101">
    <validate>
      <source>
        <candidate/>
      </source>
    </validate>        
  </rpc>
   
which may detect errors in the data store cannot use <error-path> to
refer to invalid elements in the candidate config.

Is the intention that such data store errors should be data model
specific and out of scope for this document?

/martin

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:22:55 -0700

> specific and out of scope for this document?

Can the draft say that the error-path 'stops' at the appropriate
node, based on the input.  If the error node is in the RPC input
section, then the error-path will start with /rpc.  Otherwise
it will start with a top-level element from some YANG module.

> /martin

Andy