Subject: [Netconf] FW: XML Schema Definition Language (XSD) 1.1 a Candidate Recommendation (Call for Implementations)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 18:21:08 +0200

This announcement from W3C may be of interest for NETMOD and NETCONF. 

Regards,

Dan

---------------------------

I am pleased to announce that XML Schema Definition Language (XSD) is a
Candidate Recommendation:

   W3C XML Schema Definition Language (XSD) 1.1 Part 1: Structures
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-xmlschema11-1-20090430/

   W3C XML Schema Definition Language (XSD) 1.1 Part 2: Datatypes
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-xmlschema11-2-20090430/

The approval and publication are in response to this transition request:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2009AprJun/0030

For the disposition of Last Call comments see:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-schema-ig/2009Apr/0051

There were no Formal Objections.

Patent disclosures relevant to this specification may be found on the
XML Schema Working Group Working Group's patent disclosure page in
conformance with W3C policy:
  http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/19482/status

The XML Schema Working Group Working Group expects to receive more
comments in the form of implementation feedback and test cases. The
Working Group does not expect to have satisfied its implementation
criteria before 3 August 2009. See below for the group's "exit
criteria."

This Call for Implementations follows section 7.4.3 of the W3C Process
Document: http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr#cfi

Thank you,

For Tim Berners-Lee, Director, and
Liam Quin, XML Activity Activity Lead;
Ian Jacobs, Head of W3C Communications

==========
Exit Criteria

The Working Group does not plan to request transition to Proposed
Recommendation until the following criteria are satisfied:

1) The XML Schema Test Suite
    (http://www.w3.org/XML/2004/xml-schema-test-suite/index.html) has
    been updated to include tests which cover all the new or changed
    features of these specifications since XML Schema 1.0 (Second
    Edition);

2) Each feature in the specifications has received two interoperable
    implementations as demonstrated by test suite results.

These specifications contain a number of features identified by the
Working Group as "Features at Risk" -- depending on implementation
feedback and other input, they may be removed from the subsequent
Proposed Recommendations without requiring a return to Last Call.

In particular, the decision with respect to the new precisionDecimal
datatype included in XML Schema 1.1 Part 2: Datatypes, which is a
Feature at Risk, will depend not only on the existence of two
demonstrably interoperable implementations and other feedback, but also

  "on the degree of uptake of [IEEE 754-2008] in the industry".

Evidence of uptake to be taken into consideration will likely include
support from hardware manufacturers and availability of supporting
libraries for programming languages and tools, particularly when such
libraries are part of standard distributions.

==============================================
Quoting from the
   XML Schema 1.1 W3C Candidate Recommendations - 30 April 2009

Abstract (from http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/)
--------
This document specifies the XML Schema Definition Language, which offers
facilities for describing the structure and constraining the contents of
XML documents, including those which exploit the XML Namespace facility.
The schema language, which is itself represented in an XML vocabulary
and uses namespaces, substantially reconstructs and considerably extends
the capabilities found in XML document type definitions (DTDs). This
specification depends on XML Schema Definition Language 1.1 Part 2:
Datatypes.

Abstract (from http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/)
--------
XML Schema: Datatypes is part 2 of the specification of the XML Schema
language. It defines facilities for defining datatypes to be used in XML
Schemas as well as other XML specifications. The datatype language,
which is itself represented in XML, provides a superset of the
capabilities found in XML document type definitions (DTDs) for
specifying datatypes on elements and attributes.

Status of This Document (from both documents, leaving out
-----------------------  some boilerplate and detailed change listing)

This W3C Candidate Recommendation specifies W3C XML Schema Definition
Language (XSD) 1.1. It is here made available for review by W3C members
and the public. XSD 1.1 retains all the essential features of XSD 1.0,
but adds several new features to support functionality requested by
users, fixes many errors in XSD 1.0, and clarifies wording.

For those primarily interested in the changes since version 1.0, the
appendix Changes since version 1.0 (non-normative) is the recommended
starting point. It summarizes both changes made since XSD 1.0 and some
changes which were expected (and predicted in earlier drafts of this
specification) but have not been made after all. Accompanying versions
of this document display in color all changes to normative text since
version 1.0 and since the previous Working Draft.

The Candidate Recommendation review period for this document extends
until 3 August 2009. Comments on this document should be made in W3C's
public installation of Bugzilla, specifying "XML Schema" as the product.
Instructions can be found at
http://www.w3.org/XML/2006/01/public-bugzilla. If access to Bugzilla is
not feasible, please send your comments to the W3C XML Schema comments
mailing list, [email-masked] (Public archive at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/) Each
Bugzilla entry and email message should contain only one comment.

Although feedback based on any aspect of this specification is welcome,
there are certain aspects of the design presented herein for which the
Working Group is particularly interested in feedback. These are
designated "priority feedback" aspects of the design, and identified as
such in editorial notes at appropriate points in this draft. Any feature
mentioned in a priority feedback note is a "feature at risk": the
feature may be retained as is or dropped, depending on the feedback
received from readers, schema authors, schema users, and implementors.

The W3C XML Schema Working Group intends to request advancement of this
specification and publication as a Proposed Recommendation (possibly
with editorial changes, and possibly removing features identified as
being at risk) as soon after 3 August 2009 as the following conditions
are met.

   * A test suite is available which tests each required and optional
     feature of XSD 1.1.

   * Each feature of the specification has been implemented
     successfully by at least two independent implementations.

   * The Working Group has responded formally to all issues raised
     against this document during the Candidate Recommendation period.

At the time this Candidate Recommendation was published, no
interoperability or implementation report had yet been prepared.

This document has been produced by the W3C XML Schema Working Group
(http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema.html) as part of the W3C XML Activity
(http://www.w3.org/XML/). The goals of XSD 1.1 are discussed in the
document Requirements for XML Schema 1.1
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xmlschema-11-req-20030121/). The authors
of this document are the members of the XML Schema Working Group.
Different parts of this specification have different editors.

This document was produced by a group operating under the 5 February
2004 W3C Patent Policy. W3C maintains a public list of any patent
disclosures made in connection with the deliverables of the group
(http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/19482/status); that page also
includes instructions for disclosing a patent. An individual who has
actual knowledge of a patent which the individual believes contains
Essential Claim(s) must disclose the information in accordance with
section 6 of the W3C Patent Policy.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/04/29-xmlschema-minutes.html#item07
--
Ian Jacobs ([email-masked])    http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                                      +1 718 260 9447