Subject: [Netconf] notification replay

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 08:32:39 -0700

Hi,

According to RFC 5277, stopTime values in the future are valid.
So, when is the <replayComplete> notification really sent?
Is it after the last one in the buffer at subscription-start-time,
or is it sent at 'stopTime', regardless of future notifications?
The text is scattered, contradictory in places, in not clear
on this point.

Also, what about garbage collection?
If a subscription already has been started from
startTime X to stopTime Y, then is it OK to garbage-collect
any replay buffer entries between time X and Y, before they
have been delivered to this subscription?
What if there is an explicit RPC operation like delete-replay-entries()?
Does that make a difference?

Andy

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:18:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> or is it sent at 'stopTime', regardless of future notifications?

I think it is clearly not at 'stopTime'.  For this there is
<notificationComplete>.  The intention was that <replayComplete> is
sent as the server finishes the buffered notification and goes into
live mode.  There is one special case - what if a notification is
generated and stored in the log after subscription-start-time, but
before the server has sent all buffered notifications?  Will
<replayComplete> be sent before or after this one?  I am not sure it
matters, so maybe this can be up to the implementation.

> The text is scattered, contradictory in places, in not clear

Agreed.

> have been delivered to this subscription?

I think it must be ok.

/martin