Subject: [Netconf] Proposal to have YANG as normative for the Monitoring draft

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:38:56 +0200

Dear NETCONF WG,

after Juergen found out that we still have some effort for the IP 
address issue and to finalize the monitoring draft we the WG chairs 
discussed the issue with our AD and the I-D co-authors and by 
hindsight believe that a strategy change would be better. 

Therefor we want to propose to use YANG as the normative language 
for the NETCONF monitoring draft to avoid inconsistencies with XSD 
and if necessary to delay the publication until YANG gets published.
For the sake of the document stability we accept the process delay
which might be caused.

We know already that some of the WG members are in favor of this. 
But if anyone has STRONG objections and wants to stick to XSD as 
the normative modeling language then please speak up and state 
your opinion.

PS: The question whether to keep the XSD model in the draft or not, 
if yes, whether to model it manually or to generate via a well-known 
tool can be discussed further on the maillist.

Thank you.

Mehmet & Bert

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Juergen 
> Schoenwaelder
> Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 4:45 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Netconf] ip address types in the monitoring draft
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I checked the IPv4 and IPv6 address types in the XSD and in yang-types
> and they are both different. This means that the sourceHost accepts
> slightly different things if you compare the XSD and YANG versions of
> the data models.
> 
> Now, the IPv4 pattern can be made the same by copying (and hoping the
> yang-types patter won't change anymore). For the IPv6 pattern, things
> are slightly more complicated since the YANG module makes use of the
> YANG feature to have multiple pattern; this would translate into an
> additional intermediate type for the XSD schema.
> 
> /js
> 
> -- 
> Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
> Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
> Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
> _______________________________________________
> Netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
>