Subject: [Netconf] 4741bis: issue 4: error-severity=warning

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 09:16:05 -0800

Hi,

There was no resolution to this issue, which is what
should be done about warnings?

The problem is that this behavior is associated with the
base protocol capability, and changing it at all will
affect existing clients.  Since the WG does not want to
change the protocol version, there can be no changes to
the <rpc-error> element.

The WG needs to decide what to do about this issue:

  A) deprecate the 'warning' value -- add text that says
     it MUST NOT be used

  B) do nothing now; wait until the protocol version does
     increment and add support for warnings at that time

  C) add support for warnings now and increment the protocol version

Andy

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:56:29 +0100

>   C) add support for warnings now and increment the protocol version

I think A) with a note that a fix of this "feature" might be provided
in NETCONF 1.1 is appropriate. (Perhaps we should even compile an
appendix of known issues that are candidates to be addressed by a 1.1
version of the protocol.)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 21:11:57 +0100 (CET)

>   A) deprecate the 'warning' value -- add text that says

I prefer A, but there is no reason to say that it MUST NOT be used,
since there is no way to use it currently - that's why we deprecate
it!

/martin