Subject: [Netconf] 4741bis: issue 7: keys in filter output

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:14:59 -0800

Hi,

Issue:  should keys be returned in <get> and <get-config>
        filter requests?

Resolution: yes

sec 6.2.5, para 2, add new bullet 4

 NEW:

   o  If any sibling nodes of the selection node are instance identifier
      components for a conceptual data structure (e.g., list key leaf),
      then they SHOULD also be included in the filter output.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

sec 8.9.5.1., add new para 2

The XPath result for the select expression MUST be a node-set.
Each node in the node-set MUST correspond to a node in
underlying data model.  In order to properly identify
each node, the following encoding rules are defined:

   o  All ancestor nodes of the result node MUST be encoded
      first, so the <data> element returned in the reply
      contains only fully-specified sub-trees, according
      to the underlying data model.

   o  If any sibling or ancestor nodes of the result node are needed
      identify a particular instance within a conceptual data strucure,
      then these nodes SHOULD also be encoded in the response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please comment on these proposed changes before 2009-12-12.

Andy

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:09:04 +0100 (CET)

>       then they SHOULD also be included in the filter output.

Ok, but I think the SHOULD should be a MAY.  4741 states as
motivation:

   The agent does not need to utilize any data-model-
   specific semantics during processing, allowing for simple and
   centralized implementation strategies.

In order to add keys, data-model-specific knowledge is necessary.

>       to the underlying data model.

Ok.

>       then these nodes SHOULD also be encoded in the response.

Ok, but I think the SHOULD should be a MUST.  XPath is different from
subtree filtering in this regard - in subtree filtering it is trivial
for a client that understands the data model to ask for the keys, but
in XPath it is not.

/martin

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 06:39:38 -0800

Martin Bjorklund wrote:

all your changes are fine with me

Andy