Subject: [Netconf] 4741bis: boot without loading running from startup

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:33:48 -0800

Hi,

This may just be an implementation detail, but maybe not...

If a server allows the operator to skip the load NV-stored config
step, and therefore force the running config to contain factory default
settings, and if the :startup capability is not advertised...
then when is the server required to keep the NV-storage in synch
with the running config?

IMO, the server should wait until the operator actually
changes the running config before saving the NV-store version
in this case.

There is 1 relevant sentence in 4741bis, 8.7.1:

   Operations that affect the running configuration will not
   be automatically copied to the startup configuration.

This says that without :startup, the server will automatically
copy to NV-storage *when* an operation that affects the running
config is invoked.

Andy