Subject: Re: [Netconf] Summary of the Netconf Session at IETF #90

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:15:18 +0100

Mehmet

I never saw a follow up to the actions suggested in this.

We now have a netconf-call-home so reverse-ssh may be obsolete.

This e-mail suggests that rfc5539bis will be cleaned up with the
publication of netconf-call-home, but not obsoleted.

However, a search of the IETF I-Ds shows that reverse-ssh is alive and
well, as -06 while 5539bis has vanished from the Netconf pages and  is
expired (dead?).

Just back from holiday, I am trying to refresh my memory as to what
should be happening.  I had hoped to comment on call home (ideally
before Monday next) - I think that the language needs clarification -
but the big issue, without which it seems not worth starting, is how
many I-Ds are there now, which I-Ds have been updated in the light of
the decisions proposed at the July IETF, which I-Ds are now dead and
which I-Ds are we waiting still to appear.

And the I-Ds themselves are, well, useless?  netconf-call-home says
nothing about its status wrt other I-Ds, what it replaces wholy or in
part.  If, as I guess, netconf-call-home replaces reverse-ssh, then I
think it a bad idea, for all time, to have changed the name, especially
without any content explaining the relationship, old and new.

You say below
"Update charter if WG consensus is confirmed.
"

Well, the former has not happened; did the latter?

Mmmm

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>; "netconf" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Jeffrey Haas" <[email-masked]>; "ext Edward Crabbe"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:31 PM

Dear Benoit, NETCONF WG,

below is a summary and action items from the NETCONF WG session on July
22, 2014, Toronto Canada.

- We had approx. 92(!!) participants in the 2 hour NETCONF session,
- We reviewed the status of the WG,
- We had a discussion on all 6 chartered documents.
- Note takers were: Dan Romascanu and Lada Lhotka. Many thanks for
volunteering.

Chartered items:

1. Reverse Secure Shell (Reverse SSH) - K. Watsen
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-reverse-ssh
Issues discussed. Some of the issues will be taken to the list.

2. NETCONF Over TLS update - RFC 5539bis - J.  Schoenwaelder
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-rfc5539bis
Issues discussed. Some of the issues will be taken to the list.

3. A YANG Data Model for NETCONF Server Configuration - K. Watsen
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-server
Issues discussed.

The proposal to provide a I-D draft-ietf-netconf-call-home has been
discussed. This draft would replace reverse-ssh and also clean up call
home related part in 5539bis. Humming showed that the WG is in favor of
this I-D. Based on this the co-chairs sent a consensus call to the WG
list.
AI Co-chairs: Update charter if WG consensus is confirmed.

4. RESTCONF Protocol - A. Bierman
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-restconf
Issues discussed. Some of the issues will be taken to the list.

5. YANG Patch Media Type - A. Bierman
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-yang-patch
Issue discussed.

6. Zero Touch Provisioning for NETCONF Call Home (ZeroTouch) - K. Watsen
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-zerotouch
Issues discussed.

AI for the authors of the chartered items:
Please provide an update for your draft by September 1st.

Non-Chartered items:

1. I2RS Requirements on NETCONF - Jeff Haas
I2RS WG will provide a draft describing the requirements on NETCONF.
It has been proposed to start a discussion as early as possible to
figure out whether single requirements can be already addressed with
available NETCONF protocol features.
AI Jeff Haas: to get the I2RS WG  (plus any volunteers) to do this.

2. A NETCONF Extension for Data Fragmentation - G. Zheng
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-netconf-fragmentation
Humming showed that the WG sees the issues as a valid problem. It needs
to be discussed whether it can be addressed with a bis-draft. For the
time being NETCONF charter will not be changed. Once active WG items are
finalized the draft can be re-discussed.

3. Multi-Instances Configuration Issue in NETCONF - G. Yan
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-netconf-multi-instances
The presenter has been proposed that he should check with the I2RS WG as
they have similar issues to address.

Regards,
Mehmet & Bert