Subject: [Netconf] remove psk-maps from netconf-server model?

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:21:23 +0000

Hi Juergen,

I recall your saying in Toronto that we could/should remove the "psk-maps"
from the netconf-server model, but there isn't anything about it in the
minutes.  Why aren't psk-maps aren't needed anymore?    - do we now assume
the client always has a cert and therefore "cert-maps" are all that is
needed now?

Thanks,
Kent

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:16:30 +0200

> the client always has a cert and therefore "cert-maps" are all that is

I believe PSKs are only useful for very low-end devices that do not
afford the complexity that comes with certifications. It seems that NC
is likely not implemented on such devices and hence in order to remove
complexity, I suggested to remove PSKs from the spec.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:13:03 +0000

I wasn't involved when the PSK-maps construct was added originally and
don't have enough context to argue either way.   Right now PSK is still
defined in 5539bis, and thus have to be kept in
draft-ietf-netconf-server-model.  5539bis also still has the call-home
text in it, so I guess an update is coming, one that could also remove
PSKs.  I'll update the server-model to match 5539bis whichever way it goes.

Thanks,
Kent