Subject: [Netconf] ANIMA and NETCONF zero touch

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:54:26 -1000

Dear all,

As discussed today during the OPSAREA meeting, let me make the link 
between the NETCONF zero touch draft [1] and the individual ANIMA 
bootstrapping draft [2].

>From 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pritikin-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-00#section-4.1

   Client behavior is as follows:

    1.  Discover a communication channel to the "closest" Registrar by
        trying the following steps in this order:

        A.  Search for a Proxy on the local link using Neighbor
            Discovery.  If multiple local proxies are discovered attempt
            communications with each before widening the search to other
            options.  If this fails:

        B.  Obtain an IP address using DHCP, and search for a local
            registrar using DNS service discovery.  If this fails:

        C.  Obtain an IP address using DHCP, and search for a pre-defined
            Factory provided global registrar using DNS.

    2.  Present IEEE 802.1AR credentials to the discovered Registrar (via
        a Proxy if necessary).  Included is a generated nonce that is
        specific to this attempt.

    3.  Verify the MASA cloud service generated authorization token as
        provided by the contacted Registrar.  The nonce information
        previously provided is also checked, if it was not removed by the
        Registrar.

    4.  If and only if step three is successful: Join Domain, by
        accepting the domain specific information from the registrar, and
        by enrolling a domain certificate from the registrar.

    5.  The New Entity is now a member of the domain and will only repeat
        the discovery aspects of bootstrapping if it is returned to
        factory default settings.

    [[EDNOTE: Step (1b and 1c) is similar to the vendor DNS mechanisms
    described indraft-kwatsen-netconf-zerotouch  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kwatsen-netconf-zerotouch>  although the goal here
    is to contact a Registrar rather than a vendor supplied NMS]

The goal of this email is simply to bring awareness, and to start a 
discussion.
Note: I don't like WG cross-postings, so only the ANIMA chairs are copied.

[1] tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kwatsen-netconf-zerotouch
[2] 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pritikin-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-00

Regards, Benoit