Subject: [Netconf] NACM update for YANG 1.1

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 12:19:13 +0100

Hi,

the YANG 1.1 work going on in NETMOD has two issues that interact with
the NETCONF access control model (NACM) defined in RFC 6536.  YANG 1.1
issue Y58 provides a mechanism to associate an action with a data
node. (Similarily, Y36 provides a mechanism to associate a
notification with a data node.)

To fully support Y58 (and perhaps Y36), a minor modification of NACM
would be needed so that access control rights can be associated with
actions. The change is expected to be minor and the editors of RFC
6536 indicated to be willing to do the work.

The question now is if NETCONF is willing to do this update if say Y58
makes it into YANG 1.1. (While there seems to be good support for Y58,
some people raised a concern that we should not have an incomplete
solution where standard access control cannot be configured for
actions.)

The YANG 1.1 issues list can be found here:

     http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/netmod/yang-1.1/

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 15:20:28 +0000

Hi Juergen,

thanks for sharing the issue description and the background.
I personally believe we should extend RFC 6536 to support the usage of actions.

@All: Please comment by January 22, 2015, whether you have any objections to addressing the issue with a rfc6536bis document.

Regards,
Mehmet 

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: NACM update for YANG 1.1

Hi,

/js