Subject: [Netconf] Protocol Action: 'Using the NETCONF Protocol over Transport Layer Security (TLS) with Mutual X.509 Authentication' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-netconf-rfc5539bis-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 06:55:12 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using the NETCONF Protocol over Transport Layer Security (TLS) with
   Mutual X.509 Authentication'
  (draft-ietf-netconf-rfc5539bis-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Configuration Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-rfc5539bis/

Technical Summary

   The Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) provides mechanisms to
   install, manipulate, and delete the configuration of network devices.
   This document describes how to use the Transport Layer Security (TLS)
   protocol with mutual X.509 authentication to secure the exchange of
   NETCONF messages.  This revision of RFC 5539 documents the new
   message framing used by NETCONF 1.1 and it obsoletes RFC 5539.

Working Group Summary

Since the start of the work end of 2012, the focus has been changed 
to remove call home functionality and to split the server configuration 
data model into another draft. There were no controversial or difficult 
decisions.

Document Quality

This document revises RFC 5539 by defining the chunked framing 
mechanism used if both peers adverstise the :base:1.1 capability. 
As such all implementations of NETCONF 1.1 that want to use TLS 
with mutual X.509 authentication have to use this new framing 
format. The document is clear and well written, and it has been 
extensively reviewed. There are implementations with different 
code base of different draft versions available.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Mehmet Ersue. The responsible AD 
is Benoit Claise. The IANA Expert(s) for the registries in this document 
are Joe Touch; Eliot Lear, Allison Mankin, Markku Kojo, Kumiko Ono, 
Martin Stiemerling, Lars Eggert, Alexey Melnikov, Wes Eddy, and 
Alexander Zimmermann