Subject: Re: [Netconf] server-model #43: keep-alive, linger, reconnect interval defaults OK?

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 23:06:10 +0000

On 3/30/15, 1:03 AM, "Phil Shafer" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Kent Watsen writes:
>>Note, this is a
>>keep-alive message being sent every 15 to 300 seconds, with a default
>>count-max of '3', results in a new connection after 45 to 900 seconds -
>>that's 3/4 of a minute to 15 minutes to proactively bring up a failed
>>session.
>
>Having a connection to your NMS die after 45 seconds during a network
>issue, when the network _is_ having trouble, seems unwise.

Hi Phil,

This timer is to test the aliveness of the connection.  Sure, if the NMS
doesn't respond in time, the device tears down that connection in hope to
find a connection the works better.

45 seconds seems too short to you, and 15 minutes seems too long to me.
How about 5 minutes for the default?  Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks,
Kent

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 22:23:51 +0000

For the original issue, we now have:

[1] .../connection-type/persistent/keep-alives/interval-secs:

  Set default to 5 minutes

[2] .../connection-type/periodic/linger-secs:

  Remove this node.

[3] .../reconnect-strategy/interval-secs:

  Remove this node.

This solution will be considered verified on May 23 if no objections are
raised before then.

Thanks,
Kent

On 5/14/15, 7:06 PM, "Kent Watsen" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>Netconf mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf